ATT 3G in Europe?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Clint1583, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Clint1583 macrumors regular

Has anyone ever taken there IPad to Europe and used 3G instead of the WiFi? Will it work over there on ATT 3G? Thanks!

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Yes, the iPad 3G supports the four commonly used frequencies for 3G networks.

850, 900, 1900 and 2100 MHz.

3. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

May be some expensive roaming charges involved.

4. poloponies Suspended

"May"?? AT&T's roaming charges are insane (approximately $1/MB). Depending on the country you're visiting you can almost always get a local microSIM for a far better price than using AT&T.

5. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Yes, it works. A friend took his to Italy in the summer. Since the iPad is unlocked you don't need to worry about roaming charges. You just pop in a SIM from whatever country you are visiting and sign up for a plan right on the iPad. Then switch back to the AT&T SIM when you get home.

6. seajay96, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

seajay96 macrumors 6502

This x1000. Most of the areas in Europe have very good 3G coverage and most carriers have reasonable tourist type plans. But, do a little research before you go and don't just hookup with the first kiosk you see in the train station or airport

Edit: just to be clear, there are pretty solid wifi networks also, with a good distribution of free and pay sites. But, 3G is available in many more places.

7. Vistan macrumors newbie

I'm planning a trip to Europe this autumn, starting in the UK, then to France Switzerland, Austria, and Italy (for a few days each). Can I purchase an iPad micro-sim in London with a data plan, and then use this plan throughout the remainder of the trip? If so, what company and plan? If not, what alternatives are recommended?

8. BurningJah macrumors regular

BurningJah

No you can't because every country has it's own carriers! and if you start with let's say O2 ( uk carrier ) than you will pay roaming!
    so you need to buy a new sim in every country you go to

9. Zcott macrumors 68020

Check out a MaxRoam - it's Europe wide and a little cheaper than roaming on one main carrier.

10. gyumilly macrumors member

UK might be a bit different. When I traveled around Europe, I had a plan from France and I was able to use it in Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, and Austria. There maybe a roaming charge outside of France, but I suppose still cheaper than what ATT would charge.

When I go next time, I'll just get a sim from one country and whenever data runs out, I'll get another one wherever I'm at.