ATT 3G iPad or wifi with thethering

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hockey21, Feb 13, 2012.

1. hockey21 macrumors newbie

Which is the best route to go? I travel weekly for work and will be getting a new iPad when they are released in a month or so but not sure which is best. I have 2gb month in my iPhone and use little under 1 gb month. thanks for the input

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Subjective -- as any question of best on any topic. You'd have to provide much more info on your own preferences if you want feedback. If you don't want to deal with the hassle of tethering then get the 3G iPad. How much data would you use? You need to evaluate all these questions with your own priorities and preferences in mind. This isn't a question with a one-size-fits-all answer.

3. gigemzach macrumors 6502

I like the 3G iPad. The service is there when needed and no worry about setting the hotspot up on the phone. Also, when your phone dies you no longer have internet. If you have the 3G iPad and your phone dies you still have another viable option.

4. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Another great option that you have with the iPad 3G is that you can sign up when you want to/need to.

You don't always have to have the 3G on, which I don't. But whenever I travel, bam! turn it on and I've got a months worth of internet for the price of one night at a hotel.

5. davenz macrumors regular

I tether all the time, and while it is an awesome feature, it kills your iphone battery pretty dam fast.

If you will mainly use wifi, and want to have the option of 3g, and you already have a large data cap on your iphone, just tether.

If you plan on using 3g a lot, get a 3g ipad for the sake of the battery.

Thats how i see it, but I can tether for free and have no additional charges from my carrier. I hear that is not the case in the US