ATT 4G = restriction lift?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Jan 10, 2011.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Just seen an ATT 4G coming soon commercial on TV.

This leaves me to believe the iPhone 5 will have 4G.

Do you guys think the restriction that's on FaceTime, YouTube app, and some other apps will be lifted? Will Wifi only apps be a thing of the past?

2. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

AT&Ts "4G" network is not really 4g its just as 4g as t-mobiles. So will the next iPhone get better speed? Most likely but it won't be LTE or WIMAX 4G

3. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

So what speeds are we talking here?

I had the Evo on Sprint for about 2 months and I was getting on average 8mb down. If that's the type of upgrade ATT will bring then I'm more than satisfied as on average I get 1-2mb down on the iPhone.

4. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

5. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

The question that will be asked over and over on here is will the iPhone 4 be able to hope on the new network?

6. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

[​IMG] Did you even read that? Or just skim for the term "LTE?"

AT&T is saying their 4G will be both HSPA+ and LTE. Even the heading graphic says the same.

7. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Yeah but what are the odds apple will add a technology to a phone that's not even deployed on the network yet. LTE may START to roll out when the 5 comes out but I highly doubt the 5 will have it.

8. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

It said ATT will began trials 2010, and commercially mid 2011. What more is there to understand?

Apple has nothing to lose. Just like 4G on other carriers if 4G isn't available at any given moment it will go to 3G. I experienced this with Sprint's Evo. By ATT's claims, they are basically ready now or else they wouldn't even advertise 4G yet on their site and on TV.

And the rollout date basically matches when the iPhone 5 debuts. Most likely the iPhone 5 will be the first 4G phone on ATT. Giving them the same time frame or jumpstart on Verizon.

9. zephxiii macrumors 6502

They also said LTE deployment would be complete by 2013.

I believe AT&T kinda hinted at the next iphone being HSPA+.

10. tdog09 macrumors member

I doubt Apple will launch a 4G capable iPhone in 2011. They'll most likely did what they did with the initial iPhone launch (it was only 2G capable even though AT&T had launched their 3G network).

Apple will most likely let 4G come to life for a year before supporting it in 2012.

Now I think they SHOULD release a 4G capable iphone this year just to keep up with competitors, but we all know how the Sith leader Jobs does things!

*and when I say 4G I mean LTE

11. malevolant macrumors 6502

You quoted something to prove your oppositions point. LTE by mid-2011...My guess is Apple will avoid LTE and go with HSPA+ for the iPhone 5.

12. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Yea after reading ATT FAQs. It does look like LTE will be rolled out for phone devices later. I guess it stated commercially on mid 2011 for business use of mobile broadband.

But I really think the next iPhone will be 4G(HSPA+). Why would they advertise it on TV and the net, and expect people not to expect it on the next iPhone?

It'll be as fast as Sprint's 4G which is what I expected in the first place.

BTW ... This whole 4G is not 4G is lame. LTE seems like a whole other level of mobile speed and should be considered 5G or 6G. :cool:

13. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

2011 iPhone HSPA+
    2012 iPhone LTE

Att going to have their HSPA+ up and running in a few months and the will have their LTE network up and running next year

14. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

AT&T already has their HSPA+ network up and running.
    The towers are done, they are still completing the backhaul upgrades.
    The real issues is they do not have any HSPA+ phones available just yet.

15. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Ok so back to the tread title. Who thinks the WiFi restrictions will be lifted? And does Apple have to agree with ATT about this anymore since their exclusive deal is basically over?

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I just watched an AT&T commercial announcing that 4G will be deployed soon on their network.

This leads me to believe the iPhone 5 will have 4G capabilities.

Do you guys think that the cellular restrictions placed on the FaceTime, YouTube, and other apps will be lifted? Will WiFi-only apps be a thing of the past?

I doubt if the 5 will 4G ready, we'll probably see it in 6 when AT&Ts 4G network is full established. Even then, WiFi only apps may be a thing of the past, but we're certainly not going to see unlimited data plans for it. Remember, the 3G network was up before the 2G came out.

17. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

More than what you were saying.

No, I didn't. He said:

He stated that as fact when it is only half true. AT&T 4G is HSPA+ and LTE, depending on your coverage area.

My guess (note, I am not stating this as fact) is that AT&T will be using HSPA+ for most of their 4G coverage while slowly rolling out LTE. That way they can still say they have a 4G network.

18. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

My statement is still fact. 4G will be LTE, just not right away. HSPA + will be first. ATT considers both HSPA + and LTE under the term 4G.

But I did think that it would be LTE this year as well, but that's only for commercial mobile broadband, not for phones.

19. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

That's what I meant, I think the next iPhone going to be HSPA+ and will be able to FaceTime over 4G

20. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

I doubt it, I'm sure Apple will want them to, but their "4G" network is nothing but a sometimes there, slow, crippled, 2G and sometimes 3G network re-named by some marketing idiots to 4G. You can already remove the restrictions by jailbreaking, and when there is a good 3G signal they work, although doing things like watching HD youtube vids take forever to load.

ATT will probably charge an extra 20 bucks a month to use their 4G in name only network as well, as soon as I can I'm switching to Verizon.

21. Savor Suspended

Savor

Motorola Atrix 4G should be released before an iPhone 5, so the latter wouldn't be the first.

22. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

4G just makes the cell tower to mobile phone communication faster. It doesn't say anything about the speed of the backbone. If you have a tower that needs to beam through several other towers before it gets to the ground, it can be slow as GPRS and still say 5 bars and 3G on your phone.
    So 4G is super if the network behind it is ready. If not, it's an empty marketing ploy.

23. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

LTE....HSPA+....a bunch of alphabet soup if you ask me!

I'm waiting patiently for AT&T to bring 4G (V-O-I-C-E) online. From what I've been reading, it drops less calls! Apparently AT&T has plans to roll this out in the summer of 2024...fingers are crossed! :)

24. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

You're one patient dude, my man. :D