ATT Activation Fee Experience

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmacleese, Aug 18, 2010.

1. dmacleese macrumors newbie

Hey I thought I would share my experience of trying to get my activation fee waived.

Well it took me 3 calls to ATT but I finally got my fee waived as a one time courtesy.

My first two calls ended in failure. I was polite yet stern with both reps and told them I think its absurd to charge $36 activation fee on a phone that I activated myself and that I think paying $2000 over two year contract is worthy for them to waive this bogus $36 charge. Both reps talked to supervisors but told me there was no way they could remove the fee because it is a legitimate charge due to a deal they have with apple. They said if it was any other phone but the Iphone they could do it.

At this point i didnt think it was possible to get it waived but I decided to call one more time and try. This time a guy picked up and I asked him if there was anyway they could waive the activation fee. He didnt need to speak to any supervisor and just straight up told me that he understands my complaint and will remove the fee as a one time courtesy. It was so simple and yet it saved me $42 on my first bill. HUGE!

So if anyone is having problems trying to get there activation fee waived I suggest to keep calling back until you get a decent rep. SO yeah be persistent and it could save you some money.

2. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Congrats. Getting AT&T to waive the activation fee has always been hit or miss, depending on the rep. who you speak with.

3. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

When in the process did you call. After you ordered the iPhone or before?

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I didn't get my activation fee waived but I used to have a text plan that was 3.99. After I upgraded to the i4, that text plan went away and I had to get the standard $5 plan. I called AT&T and person apologized and I asked if there were any cheaper text plans (I dont text much) which they said no. I then asked if I could receive credit since I'm paying $12 more each year for texting now with the new plan and they credited me $24. ($12 for each year I'm paying more).

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Took me less than a minute to waive both 3G and 4 activation fees.

6. pdhahn macrumors member

I somehow got my activation fee waived without even trying. I never even asked about it, but for some reason I never got charged one.

7. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

This. I had luck with my earlier phone, but not with the iPhone 4.

8. dmacleese thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah you really just need to be persistent...you will most likely find a rep that will be able to waive it no questions asked. I just think its funny how some reps say they just simply cant do it while others help you out so easily.

9. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Wow got it first try. I mentioned the whole gonna pay AT&T nearly $3,000 over the next two years and I also said how the first bill seemed high and the fee was a main issue with that first bill.

She put me on hold which got me to think she would come back with no but a couple minutes later my bill was lowered $36 :D

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I just called AT&T and they credited me 50 dollars for my issues with iphone 4. (Including horrible reception) Also, they waived 18 dollars upgrade fee.
    It might be harder to remove your 36 dollars activation fee for some people. This is true if you are new with AT&T. If you keep bother them about it, then yes, they will waive it.

11. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I'm still in that 30-day return window so the Activation fee was on my current due bill. Think I would be less likely to get some credit like you did after I got the fee waived? I deserve something for what I have put up with the past couple weeks. I will be moving soon or I would return this phone in a heartbeat, reception is garbage in this town though it is supposedly good. I can't make calls from my bedroom without dropping within a minute.

12. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

When I talked to the rep at the store before I bought my iPhone, he told me that I would get the $36 activation fee waived if I bought it through a Premier account. I did that and the fee appeared on my bill. I called AT&T and told them about my verbal agreement with the rep and it was taken off my bill. I was impressed. Never had a company just take my word for it before.

13. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I have two personal phones & my work BlackBerry on AT&T. For years the service and coverage has been great. It's the iPhones I've had that drop calls & prove a problem. Further research reveals it's Apple choice of sub par phone chips that caused the problems. Then in typical fashion, Apple weilded there power to convince the greater public it's AT&T's fault.

14. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I do not want to assume, but if you have a reception issue like the one you described. It sounds pretty serious to me. I don't think 36 dollars would do any justice... Even if AT&T does credit your account, your reception is not going to improve. If you reception issue is that bad, I would recommend getting AT&T micro cell from AT&T.
    Any activation fee can be waived, period. Iphone 4 customers pay like 1000-1500 dollars over the 2 years they are in contract. AT&T and Apple believe that these customers will be very happy with their iPhones and they will renew the contract. In other words, you are a high value customer. Tell them what you want. Say reception sucks or you were not mentioned about Activation fee. Or w/e...

I also recommend signing up for AT&T referral program and get 25 dollars. If you have no one to refer you, then I would. Email me at hcho321@gmail.com

15. hcho3 macrumors 68030

If you are misinformed, then AT&T must take a responsibility for it. Whether you have an evidence or not, I am sure AT&T would rather give you 36 dollars than losing you as a customer. (And lose like 2000 dollars)

16. protox macrumors regular

I got my 2 upgrade fees waived $18 each and my 2 new add a line activation fee $26 each waived.

17. bbtchris macrumors newbie

I gonna order it online today or tomorrow. If I want to try when should I call at&t. Before I get the first bill. After I activate iphone.

18. Middiebear macrumors member

Waiving the fee is no big deal...

There's no point in arguing with a CSR if they tell you they won't do it; arguing is just a huge waste of time for both you and rep.

Because they're not going to budge no matter how much you whine, complain, or try to sound like you're right.

If somebody says no... hang up and call back.

As you found out, if you just hang up from the start and call back, eventually somebody will waive it for you.

19. Middiebear macrumors member

AT&T can not adjust un-billed charges; wait till you get your bill.

20. bbtchris macrumors newbie

Just want to share my experience.
    Get the bill last Friday. Try calling AT&T and get the activation fee waived on the third time. Apparently third time's a charm.

21. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Attempt #1
    CSR said they can't waive standard activation charges. Hung up on him.

Attempt #2
    Called right back. This CSR was able to waive the activation fee for my primary line.

Attempt #3
    Called again 2 hours later. Told this CSR that the perso. I spoke with on my last call (attempt #2) told me that the activation fee for my secondary line would be waived too, but my account only showed only the primary was waived. This CSR just took my word for it and waived the fee for the secondary line!

just saved myself $70.09. Thanks for sharing this info guys!

22. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I went to the AT&T store and told them I was thinking about either getting a Droid X on Verizon or an iPhone on AT&T. I told them AT&T was already behind for not having unlimited data anymore. I told them it would be silly to charge me for remaining a customer. I told them Verizon already agreed to waive it (they had). They waived it.

23. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Sweet

24. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I use Verizon and AT&T, in general I get the best service and discounts from AT&T.

25. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Congrats, but Activation fee is charged by every damn carriers.
    The phone you are saying you activated isn't really 100% true. AT&T and Apple took your information from your online order and put right plans and data into their system. All you did was just synced to you itunes and unbricked the phone.