ATT and Apple Text MSG Fight?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ijohnw, Apr 5, 2009.

1. ijohnw macrumors regular

So I had to call ATT about my iphone text messaging..and i have two iphones on my account...I have the unlimited family texts for 30 dollars a month.... the rep on the phone told me apple is fighting with att cuz apple wants specific iphone texting plans. the unlimited texting would be 20 bucks per iphone. So if you had two phones on your account 40 bucks for unlimited texting instead of the 30 bucks for the family..same thing if you had 5 iphones on your family account it would be 100 bucks for texting...

sounds a little outrageous for apple to be doing this? but why? apple still wanting to get a kick back from it?

2. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

AT&T customer service reps are not exactly reliable sources of information on behind the scenes deals

3. nerdish macrumors regular

Why would the phone manufacturer have any say in what the carrier charges their users for the the service?

4. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

5. aok1975 macrumors 6502

+1. I would never put any stock into something said by a customer service rep.

6. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I don't put much trust in AT&T reps.

However, I will say there is a possibility that if you own an original iPhone then Apple may make more money by you having an iPhone txt msg plan. This of course would be due to the deal Apple made with AT&T for sharing fees from first generation iPhones.

Still I've had the unlimited family text plan since the beginning and never heard a complain about it.

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I think it's good. We have 3 people on our account and that's $10 a person, and I paid $10.00 for 1000 texts at 1 time.

8. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Oh I guess that's not bad. When I think of family plans I just think of my wife and I, and I text quite often, but not like a high school student or anything :D. My wife and I are paying $15 for our texting plan and we haven't come close to going over, but I'm stuck with Verizon and not rockin' the iPhone on ATT.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't think a CSR is a great source of info, and I doubt Apple is trying to get in on a text message war. I'm hoping Apple could push AT&T to include 200 or whatever free texts with a $30 data plan. I can't say enough how ridiculous it is that you don't get any for free with a $30 data plan. ... It's ridiculous!!!!

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you go thru the process of buying an iPhone from the AT&T website (and setup a family plan), it allows you there to get unlimited family texting for $30.00.

Attached Files:

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It took Apple 2 years to add MMS because they said people should "just use e-mail."

They clearly don't think text messages are that big a deal and fully expect e-mail and IM programs to replace them in the next 2 years.

Given that attitude, I can't see why they'd give a hoot what AT&T charges for them.

12. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

CSR is the LAST person I'd trust for this information.

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Like another said, this won't matter come June when push comes. Bye-bye SMS plan, hello pushed IMs.

14. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

$30.00 is still to much for unlimited texting. It barely costs anything to use the network for simple text messages