ATT Billing (Bold)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shfreelance, Nov 4, 2008.

1. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

Hi,
    I am looking into getting the Bold from Walmart. I am 18 and just got approved for my first credit card today. So I guess I don't have much credit? So I am kinda iffy on if I will get approved for ATT, any ideas?

I am looking into this plain:
    AT&T Nation 1350 w/Rollover $79.99
    Blackberry Personal $30.00
    Messaging Unlimited $20.00
    Mouthy Fee.** $129.99

I know there is a $36.00 Activation Fee, that will be on the first bill. But my main question is, I hear the first bill is doubled? Can I get any truth to this or how the first bill works. This is from iPhone complainers, tat complain it's to expensive. While I know we pay a Blackberry premium, I feel it's worth it being a 8830 user for a year. My contract is up and I payed my stepdad the difference every month. I would just like to have my own phone plain in my own name. Mainly so I can build up some credit and have more usage of the Blackberry. With that being said, can someone explain to me how the first payment works?

~Steven

2. dizz303 macrumors newbie

Re: ATT Billing (Bold)

Your first AT&T bill will include the following: (1) $36 activation fee (2) prorated charges (3) First full month.

The prorated charges is the charges that occur from when the day your phone becomes active to the bill cycle date (randomly generated by computer). For example, if you activate service on the 5th, and your bill cycle date is on the 20th, AT&T will charge you prorated amounts from the 5th to the 20th. What this means, is they will basically charge you for 15 days of usage. In this example, because 15 days equals 1/2 the month, this would mean that you would be charged half of what your expected monthly charges would be.

The plan that you are looking at would cost you $130/mo, so the prorated charges for this example would be $65. Plus, AT&T bills you in advance; which means whenever you pay your bill, you are paying for the month ahead of you, instead of the month you had just completed. Therefore, your first bill is higher because you are paying the prorated charges ($65) plus the first month ($130), plus the activation fee ($36), equalling ($231 + tax).

Obviously, you won't know what your bill cycle date will be until you activate it, this was just an example. Your bill cycle date could start 3 days after you activate your phone; therefore, lowering your first months bill.

Hope this helps, and makes sense.

PS - Keep in mind, because you just turned 18, you probably don't have any credit, and will have to pay a deposit.

3. shfreelance thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks,
    You just made it very clear. I could not understand what the iPhone users where telling me... That you had to pay a 3G Bill and all kinda other stuff. But you made it clear. Also have you ever heard anything about www.letstalk.com ?

4. RudenOffensive macrumors newbie

I've used letstalk.com before. I bought my first blackberry through them. I didn't have any issues outside of them taking a little bit to get the phone activated (just took an extra day or two because they had to call me over a few issues on both my and sprints end, not their fault). I didn't do the rebate, however, to make my phone free ($50, but I had to mail the bill, which I needed to turn in to work, which covered the entire phone bill...better than getting only $50 back), so I can't comment on that. I was looking at the Bold on letstalk today. It's free with the right plans, but even without those plans, it's $199 after rebate ($299 without rebate), which is still better pricing than I've found elsewhere (especially att themselves)

5. dizz303 macrumors newbie

re: att Billing (Bold)

I have heard of letstalk.com as well as wirefly.com, and other similar online resellers. I would avoid them at all costs. I have had numerous friends deal with issues related to purchasing equipment from these types of companies. They'll send the wrong equipment or they will put things on your account that you did not ask for. They'll had a data feature to your account that is incorrect. All sorts of things. I would avoid them, unless the deal is jaw-dropping. Usually, if something is too good to be true, then it usually is.

6. shfreelance thread starter macrumors 6502a

http://www.letstalk.com/cell-phones/productdetail.htm?prId=34661

Free and hard to pass up, yes I read the small print. AT&T also acknowledged there deal, so it's tempting. But I did the iPhone pre-approval and they said I have to put a $500 deposit down. I get that back after like 11 months if I make my payment on time, correct?

I will sleep on it and make my mind up, inputs would be nice.

7. shfreelance thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update:
    After getting my credit check with ATT Online (For iPhone only way I saw). My Deposit would be $500 and is just crazy if you ask me. Do you think it would be different for the BlackBerry Bold (What I want)?

But I did take a gander at Sprint and had them do a Credit Check. They said I don't have to put a penny down. So I am thinking about ordering the Curve and the Simply Everything plain ($99 Monthly). This is looking very temping; cheaper up front, mouthy, and no deposit. I may not get the Bold like I wanted, but at the savings it's worth it (Not to). Hmmm, decisions... Put it this way if I did not have to put down a deposit, I would be 100% Bold. Even though the plain cost more and you don't get Unlimited Minutes.

Any last minute words before I order tonight?

8. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

Go with sprint, assuming your service is good. The Bold is sweet, but so is the curve. Build your credit without any potential risks like $500 upfront for AT&T. Make sure you make your payments on time and i full.

9. kylemg macrumors newbie

I got an iPhone when I was 18 and failed the credit check ($500 deposit as well). AT&T told me just to wait 3 months and come back. I paid my credit card bill on time each month and went back in 3 months and got approved with no deposit.

I think AT&T is pretty easy about approving contacts as long as you have some credit. I stuck with the pay-as-you-go for the first 3 months then transferred over to contact.

10. shfreelance thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am pretty much set on Sprint, there service in my area is good (If I go more into the rural areas, they show no service). But AT&T and Verizon are the best in my area. I am already on my stepdad's service plain with VZW and I don't care for them. Mainly because VZW locks down so many great features. But since my mom and my stepdad are getting a divorce. Also, since my moms credit went down the drain. I am probably going to get a family plain from Sprint.

This is the new plain I am looking at:
    Everything Data Family
    1500 Mins, Unlimited Data and Text $129.99 (2 Lines)

Then since I would be the one using it the most. I would just have mom give me $30-40. Then even for some reason, mom could not pay me. I could still afford it, being the price of the original plain for ATT.

Looking around the internet, seems as if NewEgg (I ordered tons from them, great site), seems as they have the best deal. I would get the BlackBerry 8330 (Curve) for me and undecided for my mom. My mom only needs a basic phone, but I feel it would be a waist to not buy a SmartPhone, since you pay for the data anyways. So I was looking at the HTC Touch Black, any ideas?

Newegg, has both the 8330 and HTC Touch for $79.99. Then AT&T $100 mail in rebate. So I come out ahead, may as well get the best phone I can get since I am signing a 2 year contract.

Thanks everyone!
    I just want to get the best deal possible, since this is a big commitment.