ATT Blackberry vs. ATT Tilt vs. Blackjack

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by coolant113, Dec 7, 2007.

1. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

I am getting a new phone on my ATT account... i was wondering if anybody has had any experience with any of these phone.. I need advice on which one is the best one... I need advice on the ATT Tilt the only thing that is makeing me hessitant about buying this phone is the reason that it has windows mobile on it and i REALLY dont like that.. and i am not sure if it will sync with mac..

The next one is the Blackberry 8820 and the 8310.. i love these but i dont like how they dont have wifi and they arent 3G.....

I also want to know what peoples thoughts are on the Blackjack 2.. it seems like a nice phone but again it has windows mobile

I am very confused on which one to buy.. all the advice would be appreciable

Thanks In Advance:apple::apple:

Links to these phones:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...etails/?device=AT&T+Tilt(TM)&q_sku=sku1060009

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...ils/?device=BlackBerry®+8820&q_sku=sku1040153

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...BlackBerry®+Curve+8310+-+Red&q_sku=sku1070075

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...Jack(TM)+II+by+Samsung+-+Red&q_sku=sku1140069

2. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

i can't help you out too much, but i've played around with my friends blackjack, and my other friends blackberry (don't know specific number but looked similar to pics),

anyways i'm not crazy about the windows mobile on the blackjack, but it was my favorite of the two phones, i liked the feel and style of the phone,

in my opinion they are similar in what they do with minor differences in the apps and look,

so any of those 4 would be a good phone but i recommend the blackjack

3. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

Get either the BlackJack or one of the Blackberries.

4. renault4 macrumors regular

I have the AT&T Tilt (aka HTC Kaiser), and I have owned it's predecessors the Cingular 8525 and the Cingular 8125. I also use an iPhone. The primary advantage for me in using the tilt is 3G; faster sync and web connection, and broader international acceptance. A second advantage is the relatively easy connection with Microsoft Exchange. I don't use the camera a lot, though it has come in handy at times, eg keep a record of a whiteboard. I find I don't use the wireless as much as I thought--some of that is due to the clunkiness of the explorer implementation and the wireless network connection software. The GPS has also been useful to have around at times.

At the end of the day I would say a lot of your choice depends on your intended use for this unit. I would also add that if the iPhone gave me Exchange and 3G I would be there in a heartbeat!

5. coolant113 thread starter macrumors 6502

coolant113

Do you guys know if i can sync the tilt with mac??

6. ArmanSLR macrumors member

if i had AT&T and wanted a smartphone... iphone? Hello?:apple:

7. island macrumors 6502

island

Just to introduce myself, I am a mobile phone addict and an Apple addict. Out of the hundreds of phones I have owned in the past, the only 2 that are above all others are the Blackberry and the iPhone.

To pick between both, the Blackberry is more for people who type alot on the go vs the iPhone which is for people who read more mail then write. If you need to load application and other things, you might want to consider a Palm or Symbian phone.

Windows Mobile is GARBAGE and I would never recomend it to anyone, ever.

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

My last phone (before the iPhone) was the first round of the blackjack. It was by far the best phone I had ever owned, up to that point.

That being said, just get an iPhone ;)

9. renault4 macrumors regular

According to the profile/signature, the poster coolant113, already has an iPhone, correct?. I suspect he or she is looking for wireless sync with (probably a corporate) group calendar, as well as email and possibly tasks and contacts--perhaps the ability to view/edit office documents as well. I have no doubt in my mind that the iPhone will eventually provide this capability, but it doesn't do so easily today. If that's not the case for this requester, then by all means the iPhone is a far better user experience than the Tilt or Blackberry; best in class user interface, room for improvement in business functionality at this point.

10. coolant113 thread starter macrumors 6502

coolant113

yea i already have the iphone... its just not that practical enough for me.. i dont want to connect to corporate or anything.. i have my own graphic design business.. i want to use it alot for text messaging and internet viewing.... i had windows mobile 5 on a pda and i HATED it. SO therefore i am not sure what i am going to get.. probally the blackberry or now i am even thinking about the treo for at&t. Any thoughts or user experiences with that?
    :apple::apple:

11. Hatchet macrumors regular

I've owned both the 8820 (Verizon) and 8310 (Just switched by to At&t).

Both phones are fantastic. The 8820 is much better for corporate use. It's a workhorse.

I personally like the 8310 because it's smaller and has a camera. I owned a BlackJack before (I do not recommend as I had major reception issues) and I can't see the difference in 3G and EDGE.

The Blackberry 8310 has been the best phone i've ever owned. I've previously had the razr, blackjack, BB 8820, and a multitude of phones from nextel and verizon.

On a side note:
    It was between the iPhone and 8310 when i switched back to at&t and I chose the 8310 mainly because the iPhone still has some issues that i'd like to get resolved before i try it out (iPhone issues I experience when using a friends: can't remove the battery, earbud jack isn't universal, call quality is mediocre).

STAY AWAY FROM THE BLACKJACK 1!! There is a thread on At&t support forums with about 80 pages on reception issues...

12. amgshaffer macrumors newbie

Tilt > Blackberry

I have the AT&T Tilt and have to say I am pretty impressed. There is really nothing out there now that is as powerful as the Tilt. I am reluctant to say all of this because I really dislike almost all Microsoft products. However, Windows Mobile 6 is actually pretty nice....not perfect (it is still reminiscent of Microsoft Windows, but it is better).

It is NOT syncable with a Mac. I own it because I need it to sync with my work laptop (which runs buggy, crappy windows) but has Outlook backed by the Microsoft Exchange Server (my life ends without that), and the Tilt is perfect with the combination of Outlook/Exchange Server.

I am pretty excited about the Tilt. I really wanted an iPhone, but I have since learned that the iPhone is really a personal device, not a business device. If you want a business device you need a Blackberry or Windows Mobile. Between the two, I prefer the Tilt over Blackberry because the Blackberry is not yet 3G.

13. dkrambeck macrumors newbie

sync Tilt with mac

I was informed that you can actually sync the Tilt with a mac if you purchase ipocket (not sure if this is the correct name) With that said I have a tilt and have not done so yet so if anyone has please let me know how it worked out. dkrambeck@gmail.com

14. ehandke macrumors newbie

I work for an ATT corporate store. All the phones that you are talking about are great phones. I would definitely recommend the tilt or the blackjack. The Curve is my favorite blackberry, but the lack of 3g is what turns me off. Also, to let you know there is a rep that has been at my store for 6 years and he has had every phone you can think of, including the iphone, and he kept going back to the blackjack. Either phone is great. I would probably go with the tilt personally.

Also, you can sync windows mobile devices with a mac. You need a program called missing sync. It 40 bucks. Its the only software that I found will work.

hope that helps

15. Chueykwak macrumors newbie

Tilt connecting with Mac

I just bought TILT and love it! Only thing I am having trouble is downloading music from IMAC. I already bought extra 2G and stereo head phone sets but I still cannot figure out. I did browse around missing sync website but Tilt wan't listed and reading other notes on AT&T forum, the tech support of Missing Sync is not so great. I don't mind spending another $40 if it's going to work for sure but I don't want to spend more money if it's not going to work. Is there a way to copy the songs from Mac using flash drive? Step by step guide will be really appreciated!!! Thanks.:confused:

16. f1 macrumors 6502

The Tilt is utter garbage imo. The blackberries and the Jack are pretty decent phones. The blackberries are VERY good for email and text messaging but NOTHING more. Windows Mobile phones like the Jack are good for email but are so much more customizable and can do so much more (even more than the iPhone) as there are LOTS of developers for the WM Mobile platform, as opposed to the blackberry platform. Of course the WM Mobile UI is utter garbage and is VERY unintuitive and sluggish and sometimes buggy compared to the blackberry, but the advantage is that it is VERY expandable. I would not worry about the lack of 3G on the blackbberry, Blackberry data is HIGHLY compressed, so its not a big deal, even for loading web pages. The BlackJack is very sleek and sexy looking, but the keyboard sucks compared to the blackberry keyboard, but the iPod like jogwheel on the Blackjack 2 is quite nifty. Just my two cents here. Oh and also, with WM or Blackberry phones you will need to purcahse extra software, either pocketmac or the missing sync to sync with your mac. There are NO free alternatives at this time and neither RIM or Microsoft have syncing software out for mac.