ATT borrow sim card

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iphonegeek786, Nov 19, 2009.

1. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

I have accidently restored my iphone and I want jailbreak and unlock my iphone. Can I unlock and jailbreak without having to connect to itunes and putting in a sim, it is stuck on the usb cord and itunes logo.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

In order to jailbreak you have to connect to iTunes as it uses iTunes to restore a custom firmware to the phone. Not sure if you have to have the SIM in or not.

3. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

4. iphonegeek786 thread starter macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

Well my friend said that when he plugs in the iphone into itunes, it says invalid sim or no sim, something like that.

5. iphonegeek786 thread starter macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

6. himni macrumors regular

Close iTunes and then run Blackra1n that will hacktivate and jailbreak the phone. Then using the blackra1n app on the phone install cydia and blacksn0w. Once that is all done open cydia and add repo http://cydia.iphoneil.net/ and install "Push Fix". You should be good to go.

7. iphonegeek786 thread starter macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

Scenario: So if I got a brand new iphone 3g today, what firmware would it be and baseband, I have gotten many warnings that dont update. So when I get the iphone, and it is on the itunes logo screen, I can close itunes, and put blackra1n in. and then if I want to unlock the iphone, what firmware and baseband should the phone be on. srry!! And whats this about custom firmware, and how to install it. If I install custom firmware, can I update the iphone on to 3.2.1 without updating the baseband.

8. himni macrumors regular

If you got a 3G with the latest BB on it it would be 5.11.xx that is the newest and blacksn0w will unlock it. The Firmware should be 3.1.2. Just download blackra1n from http://blackra1n.com/ plug your iphone in and run it and hit 'Make it ra1n' and once the phone reboots you are good to go.

ETA: don't worry about custom FW if you are getting a new 3G or if you accidentally restored it to the latest FW. You can avoid updating your BB with custom FW but it doesn't sound like you are in a situation in which that would matter. You have to have a mac to make the custom FW and you use PwnageTool 3.1.4 to make it. If you really want to know more about it go to http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ and read the info they have. If you aren't real savvy with jailbreaking stick with blackra1n it is by far the simplest way to JB your iPhone.

9. iphonegeek786 thread starter macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

then why are these people saying don't update from 3.0 to 3.1.2

10. himni macrumors regular

What iphone do you have? And what firmware and baseband/modem version is it on?

11. iphonegeek786 thread starter macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

RIght now I have no idea, because the iphone is on the recovery screen. How can I check because I dont have an att sim.

12. himni macrumors regular

Go to http://blackra1n.com/ and click on the windows or apple logo for what ever OS you are running. once it is done plug your iphone in, close anything iTunes related you have open then run blackra1n and click 'Make it ra1n'. Wait until the phone reboots and you are good to go. If your phone is on the recovery screen because you did what you said then you already have the latest FW and BB on the phone.

Blackra1n only jailbreaks and hacktivates your phone it doesn't update the BB or FW.

13. iphonegeek786 thread starter macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

What is I have a firmware before 3.2.1. Will blackra1n work for the before versions.

14. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

You mean 3.1.2 and BlackRa1n will work on ALL versions of firmware on ANY device (except the latest 3Gs with the new iBoot)

15. iphonegeek786 thread starter macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

Is there a time after every iphone 3g had 3.2.1. Could do you download a custom firmware.

16. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

There is no 3.2.1 firmware.

You can just run BlackRa1n on your phone and it will jailbreak it. That is all. No downloading custom firmware.

17. iphonegeek786 thread starter macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

But what if I have OS 3.0. People said that if you updated from 3.0, then you would not be able to unlock the iphone 3g...

18. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Use blackra1n and install blacksn0w to unlock it.

Everyone in this thread said that BlackRa1n can unlock any 3G. I don't know who else these "people" are, but they are wrong.

19. himni macrumors regular

blacksn0w will unlock the latest BB that comes with the latest FW so if you do update from 3.0 you can still unlock it. What you read is all old and out of date.

20. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

21. himni macrumors regular

That article is from october blacksn0w came out at the beginning of November. That information is out of date like I said before.

22. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

To OP:

If you are skeptical of what you are being told, why are you even posting here asking advice ? :confused:

Obviously, the advice you are being given here is more accurate and more up to date than what you claim to be getting from "people" or whatever websites you have read.

Oner further question if you will indulge us: How does one "accidentally" restore their phone ?

A restore to official Apple firmware takes a good 10 minutes, at the very least you can unplug the phone.

23. iphonegeek786 thread starter macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

Dude, I just want to confirm everything. I dont feel like ending up in problems. Sorry didn't see the date. But thanks everyone. You still answered the question about the SIM. I never new what hacktivated meant and now I do. Thanks!!