ATT dropped my iPhone Data Plan... wtf?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cyclone Chris, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Cyclone Chris macrumors regular

I've had my 3G 16G iPhone since 11 Jul, and decided to do a Direct Fullfillment for an 8GB on 25 Jul, which arrived at the store yesterday (12 days total).

So ATT changes my individual 450 min plan to a Family Share plan with 700 min. They set up my wifes iPhone, and everything works perfectly fine on it, however mine is a different issue. When they changed over the plan, my data dropped off.

So now ATT is getting some overlapping date issue when they try to add my data back on... after sitting in the store for 2 hours and the CSR calls about 3-levels of tech support, they still could not get the data put on my phone.

So they sent me home... and tell me to wait a day to see if the system will fix itself. At this point I'm pissed... so I go home and call 611 myself. The CSR on the phone tries to add my Unlimited iPhone Data Plan... and couldn't. She had 2 different managers try to do it, and they couldn't either.

Now the CSR is fustrated and filled out a ticket to elevate my issue, which will take 2-3 days to resolve. In the meantime she added a pay per use data feature on my phone. I guess this plan costs 1 cent / kb which she said... all usage will be credited to my account.

Cool... I have data now (at an expensive rate)..... however, NO VOICEMAIL

I call back and they try to reset my voicemail and find out that I do not have voicemail anymore, and cannot give me voicemail because it's part of the iPhone data package. They said I will have to wait for this issue to be resolved also.

So has anyone else experienced this problem because they added a line and changed from a single to a family plan with iPhones?

2. adster macrumors regular

I had your EXACT same issue. on Tuesday I went into AT&T to change my plan to a Family Plan. They had trouble adding the iPhone Data so I spent about 2 hrs on the phone with 611 trying to resolve it, much like you.

Here was the resolution:

They had to submit a trouble ticket that could've taken up to 10 days to rectify. In the meantime, however, the rep said she could put me on a Pay-Per-Use plan and she would notate my account to credit me back all those charges once it got taken care of.

The next day I got a call form the same 611 rep I talked to and said that the techs have fixed it and that data and voicemail were added to my account. She also gave me a $25 credit for my trouble.

So it just seems like there is something screwey with their billing system and the iPhone.

BTW: I regged here just to reply to this post :p

3. Cyclone Chris thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate the reply... I guess this is an ongoing problem. I'm hoping that they'll be giving me some sort of credit for my troubles...lol

4. mkoesel macrumors regular

Rather than screwing with AT&T customer support you might be able to just go here:

https://www.wireless.att.com/media/cingular_video_purchase

And add the MEdiaNet unlimited plan yourself for $15. You will still not have visual voice mail but you'll have data (including 3G) at half the standard iPhone rate. In theory, you can leave it like this indefinitely if you don't care about visual voicemail.

In fact, this is what they ought to have done for you as an interrim solution rather than adding the pay-per-use plan. I'd be nervous about having that on there and seeing those charges rack up. I'm sure they'll honor their promise to remove the charges, but still there's no reason why they should have given you pay-per-use.