ATT Family Plan / iPhone Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by S1njin, Jun 30, 2010.

1. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Hey Gang,

So I just got my iPhone 4 and love it. My wife, who so far has been fine w/ her GoPhone w/ texting plan is starting to sweat my iPhone. Thinking maybe next year would be a good time to get one.

Of course, me being the IT Mgr and tech/gadget guy I told her it'd be a great idea - because I plan on pushing my phone down to her so I can get whatever the new goodness is.

So, my question is in one year's time when the new one comes out, how does one go about snagging it at the discount/promo price and switching lines? Can I get one 'on the cheap' via ATT as my 2nd line, than swap sim cards and away we go? What's the process?

Thanks !

:apple:

2. himni macrumors regular

When I got my 3GS I used my dad's line since it was eligible for an upgrade. All I did when I got the phone was activate it like normal through iTune and then swap sims.

3. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Awesome. :cool:

4. Corey213 macrumors member

This is the main reason why Apple is awesome. Switching phones through verizon and the upgrade issues are a pain as I have found out going to the verizon store with my friends

5. ducktales macrumors regular

why dont you wait until next year and then post this question?

6. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Just add a line and when you do, you get the new pricing on that phone. After that, just have them swap the phones on the lines and you're done. 15 minutes tops. :)

7. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

The early bird catches the worm, ducktales.

;)

I'm constantly amazed when I read MacRumors' iPhone forum at the vast majority of posters who have absolutely no clue how GSM upgrades work.

I guess maybe lots of them never used a GSM device? I mean, CDMA is restrictive, but you can still switch equipment from one line to another.

8. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I knew I could switch the lines, but I've never had a family plan before so I wasn't sure if the el cheapo pricing for the physical device was any differant.

Thank you all for your help !

9. Error Type -43 macrumors member

I believe you have to go to AT&T and have them switch the IMEI numbers. I have a friend who did exactly this with the ip4 and it wasn't just a simple SIM swap. Of course, that's probably because the 3GS and 4 SIMs aren't swappable.

10. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Probably because the vast majority of posters could give 2 $h!ts what GSM and CDMA are. All they are interested in is the phone, user experience, pricing and maybe carrier if that phone is available on different carriers. They really don't care about what technology is used to make it work

11. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Until they want to swap phones, sell phones, make a quick buck off phones...

Then they come ask.

Um... not directed at the OP, of course.

I'm fascinated by cell technology. Understanding how it works would prevent about 95% of the odd gripe threads here about stuff like dropped calls.