Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caper656

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2015
Hey guys...need some outside opinions... Ive been an ATT unlimited guy for years now...and for the last 3 years, my company has supplied a Verizon phone. I use my company as my personal phone so I gave my unlimited to my family to hold onto incase i ever switch jobs. Since my family also has a family business, we decided just to merge all of the phones to a business account that I handle for them. So here is where i need your opinion with....i cant decide if its time to go to a family data share plan and give up my 1 line of unlimited. ive been worried if i ever switch jobs, ill be screwed if i didnt have my unlimited that i could get back from my family. As I am currently the highest data user....what do you guys think? im worried that its any day now that my parents or brothers, etc will figure out they can utilize the data much better(emails, music, ect) and everyone will be using 5gb a month. Add on the ability of tether and im just not even sure how to calculate how much data share they would need, or how much data I would need should i ever need to add myself to the family plan. One last note...4 users need new phones

SO....here is the break down.

Verizon Corporate is offering Family Share
10GB $260 for 5 lines including 5 iphone 6s
15GB $292 for 5 lines including 5 iphone 6s
20 GB $325 for 20GB.

On my verizon plan, i use about 10-18GB of data a month. I stream alot of music/videos when i travel.

ATT FAMILY plan(nonshared data): ~$250
Main Account: AVG DATA USAGE 1.5GB
$60 for 700minutes
$30 for family talk and text
$25 for 2GB of personal data
-12.75 credit for military
12.95 taxes
--------------------------------------------------
$115.20

LINE two: AVG DATA USAGE: 3GB
$9.99 Family Talk Add on phone
$30.00 for 3GB of Data
------------------------------------------------------
$43.99

LINE THREE: AVG DATA USAGE: 2GB
$30.00 Unlimited Data*****************UNLIMITED

LINE Four: AVG DATA USAGE: 2GB
$25 for 2GB of personal data

LINE FIVE NO current data but if i add data and upgrade to a smartphone, i believe 1-2GB
$9.99 Famly Talk Add on.
----------------------------------------------------
$15.99

cousintim

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2015
For three or more users, a shared data plan is the better deal. Force use to wi-fi when possible and 3GB per person should be more reasonable.

caper656

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2015
true but if I have two high users that sometimes use 10gb of data a month. (travel, music in the car, stream movies) do you still not think its worth keeping the unlimited. to me, as phones get more advanced and easier, the more data you use. i assume there is some growth of data used per year.

Reactions: Applejuiced

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
true but if I have two high users that sometimes use 10gb of data a month. (travel, music in the car, stream movies) do you still not think its worth keeping the unlimited. to me, as phones get more advanced and easier, the more data you use. i assume there is some growth of data used per year.

We have 4 UDP and 3 of us are high users of 10GB+ the 1 uses 3GB. We would need at least 33GB total.

I like having unlimited data cause I don't have to worry about overages. And I'm comfortable with my $195 a month bill including FAN and taxes. 30+GB share plan might be cheaper but not significant enough to make me switch.

cousintim

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2015
Only you can answer what works for you. Manage the usage as possible and then add up how much data you need. Data costs are trending lower.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I have gone as far as 7GB and never got throttled, not even a warning. I have a friend who lost his WiFi and did a little over 12GB and not throttled. I do not think that AT&T is going to make a big announcement on this.
AT&T's policy change seems clear... that they can slow down speeds in areas that have network congestions... but it doesn't mean that it will be unusable speeds pre-policy change. AT&T started sending out warning messages again this week, but it has different wording than before the policy change.

attmsg.png

The way I read it, they can slow speeds... but it depends on the network congestion in your location. I'm over 50gb of data this billing cycle with 7 days left. I haven't noticed any slow down in speed... if they did slow down my speed, it was still usable in my location. I've been streaming E3 live video all day long since Monday... and video was clear.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
AT&T's policy change seems clear... that they can slow down speeds in areas that have network congestions... but it doesn't mean that it will be unusable speeds pre-policy change. AT&T started sending out warning messages again this week, but it has different wording than before the policy change.

attmsg.png

The way I read it, they can slow speeds... but it depends on the network congestion in your location. I'm over 50gb of data this billing cycle with 7 days left. I haven't noticed any slow down in speed... if they did slow down my speed, it was still usable in my location. I've been streaming E3 live video all day long since Monday... and video was clear.

It will also depend on the FCC as they seem to think that unlimited is unlimited no matter what.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.