Carrier ATT. How should I upgrade this year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EvanEiga, Sep 1, 2016.

1. EvanEiga macrumors regular

I've been on the grandfathered unlimited plan with ATT since day one. I have a family plan of two, and so each year I was always able to upgrade for a discounted price of $200, or $300 for more storage with the eligibility swap. However, I think since January that ATT decided to not to renew any grandfathered plan, leaving me to a brand new adventure of copping new iPhone.....

Anybody in similar situation? What do you recommend?

I think I am either just gonna either:

buy the phone out right (which is pretty expensive for a phone that I will pass on to my family member for another year when future gen comes out, and will ultimately be sold to gazelle after 2 years)

Or the iPhone Upgrade Program, which I assume is a no brainer, but maybe im old fashioned but leasing a phone sounds crazy to me:D

Any other options? I thought about switching to T-Mobile but I don't think their network in relatively suburban and rural area is ready for me.

What do you think?
    How does IUP work, What if when iphone 7S comes out and I don't want to upgrade right away, can I keep the phone for another 2-3 months? (Is it even worth it at that point?) What if I decide to keep this iphone 7 while getting a 7S, can I just get 2 agreements at the same time? and most importantly, does that 7 have to be perfectly almost new condition upon returning it?

2. aristobrat, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

aristobrat macrumors G5

I know this is picking nits, but a lease is a contract outlining the terms under which one party agrees to rent property owned by another party.

With AT&T Next and Apple's Yearly Upgrade Program, you own the phone the minute they put it in your hot little hand in the exact same way that you owned your phone when you signed a 2-year contract.

Neither of those programs require you to ever give the phone back (although they give you the option to do so, if you choose). Both of those programs are simply 0% APR financing. :)