ATT in Toronto

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jonk1183, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Jonk1183 macrumors regular

hey I'm leaving the states for the first time and going to toronto for 3 days. how do i go about using my 4s without racking my bill up?? i don't think ill really need to talk to anyone other than the people I'm with so if i have to ill just leave my phone on airplane mode. what are my other options if i wanted to make calls and text without the extra fees???? thanks guys.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Definitely turn Cellular Data off.

Calls in Canada cost $0.79/minute. You can add "AT&T Canada" to your plan for a month for $4.99, that drops your per-minute rate to $0.59. Since you're saving $0.20/minute, you'd need to use 25 minutes over your 3-day stay to make that cost effective.

https://www.att.com/olam/showFeatureDetails.olamexecute?selectedFtrSoc=ICAN

Text messages are $0.50/ea. With Cell Data off, you don't have to worry about MMS.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/i...?wtSlotClick=1-0021N8-0-1&WT.svl=calltoaction

3. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I've used my AT&T phone in Canada many times, I just don't surf the web up there. Check my email a little and make a few phone calls. Doesn't effect my bill enough to worry about it.

4. netslacker macrumors 6502

I travel to Canada with my iPhone frequently. There is a 5.00 per month Canada calling plan that you can add but it only reduces your per minute roaming charge from .79/min to .59/min. But if you talk more than 20 mins up there then it will save you some money. Texting is expensive unless you add the international texting plan as well. I usually don't add this tho but if you're a heavy texter then I may consider it. If your friends and family have iPhones with iOS 5 then stick to wifi to use iMessage and avoid as many carrier charges for texting as possible.

I have a Skype account with Skype Out that allows me to make calls to anyone for cheap providing there's wifi around. I use this for all of my outgoing calls as much as possible to avoid the ridiculous roaming fees. For incoming calls there's not much you can do but rack up the roaming.

For mobile data you can add 50mb of data to your AT&T plan for 25.00 or 100mb for 50.00. I don't do this as I just try and stick to wifi. If you don't do this either then make sure your phone is set to NOT use 3G roaming data otherwise AT&T will charge you 15.00 PER MB that you use in Canada.

In essence it is not cheap to take at AT&T iPhone to Canada.

5. vietalogy macrumors 6502

If you need to make calls back to the states download nettalk app which lets you make calls over wifi for free. I think you can call Canada too for free.

6. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Are you interested in getting a pre-paid line with data? I can offer some info if you are.

7. hamlin macrumors regular

Just turn data roaming off. Once you enter Canada you will go on the Rogers Network. My Rogers plan gives me 100 free us texts. I am not sure what ATT does but I know you can purchase a travel pack to come into Canada.