Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muskratboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
i just had to "activate" my iphone to make an international call... to call from the US to another country. out of the box, it just won't let you.

to get this set up, i had to answer a series of vaguely strange questions... i guess to verify it's me, but still they are weird:

1) what is my home mortgage company
2) what city i used to live in a loooong time ago
3) name a place where i used to work
4) what state was my SSN set up in

and a few others. strange.

not sure why it's such a problem to call internationally on ATT. on my Tmobile phone, i just picked it up and dialed. there was absolutely NO verification of any kind.

so... just throwing this out there. why the hell is ATT so anal about calling outside the country? they even asked where i was going to call. the answer, of course, was "does it matter?" :D

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
It just sound like special security to prevent International Calling abuse. You can easily turn that off by calling 611.

TEG

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Confirmation

They are protecting your account by asking you questions that are generated fom your credit report. That is a service that many vendors use. It is a failry strong method and is needed in my opinion expecially with the costs assoicated with Int't calls

nakamuramori2

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
i think that's good for security. if dont wanna dot that everytime you make a international call, u gotta call 611 to set it up.
anyways.. can we make a call in different country ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.