ATT International iPhone Costs & Coverage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigdaddymac, May 20, 2008.

1. bigdaddymac macrumors regular

Does anyone know why ATT doesn't offer an unlimited iPhone international coverage? I was in Europe recently, and I chose the $24.99 plan for 20MB of data. I kept my iPhone off much of the time, didn't open all my emails, and did only the most minimal web browsing, and still ran over that 20MB in just 3 days. Luckily it was a short trip.

I originally switched to the iPhone and ATT from a Blackberry and T-Mobile. T-Mobile's plan allows you to roam internationally with unlimited data - and I don't recall there even being an extra charge (a la the ATT plans).

Why doesn't ATT offer this? Instead, I get a mailer today from them titled "You can travel the world with your iPhone" which essentially outlines disabling your iPhone features - turn data roaming off, turn off email "auto check", don't open email attachments, etc.

Shouldn't ATT be offering ways to maximizing your iPhone experience, rather than curtailing it? We already pay enough for the iPhone data plan. Asking for an extra $24.99 or $59.99 for limited data plans that still ask you to disable iPhone features, is preposterous. I can't even believe ATT would actually send out a mailer, asking for a high monthly fee for international use, while in the same mailer also telling us that we need to disable the iPhone features! For $70 a month, I need to disable basic features like checking my email every 15 minutes? When a blackberry does this with TMobile, for no discernible extra charge, AND it's PUSH email!

Has anyone found a way to travel internationally with their iPhone and not had to worry with limiting their data usage? Maybe using a different SIM while traveling, perhaps? I have a long trip overseas coming up and am looking for alternatives to these costly, limited ATT plans.

Thanks!

2. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

I think unlocking and getting a sim for the country you're in is the best bet for better prices.

3. LetsGoMets macrumors newbie

I suspect that the best way to use data/internet internationally is to use local free wifi. There are no additional ATT charges, I don't believe. If you are in a hotel, there might be some daily wifi charge, depending on hotel.

LGM

4. alisax macrumors newbie

Im going to be in europe for three months ( study abroad, italy specifically ).. my iphone is jailbroken and unlocked, all that fun stuff.. any one know if i can i get a sim with a data plan?
    I did a bunch of research and came up with nothing... I know vodafone is going to be carrying the iphone there..but i couldnt find any details on pre-paid sims for the iphone
    any info would be appreciated =]