Att Iphone 5 ebay unlock and early termination

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by magicsul, Oct 26, 2012.

1. magicsul macrumors newbie

Hello guys.
    I'm getting ip 5 att version with new number since i could not wait next year when i'm eligible for an upgrade; I am planning to stay away from a contract after this one ends anyways.

My plan is to
    1. receive the phone
    2. get unlocked through ebay sellers ($10)
    3. and terminate the contract asap

Did this work well for anybody?

The reason why I chose ATT is that Tmobile possibly start next year to have cheap 4G LTE service compatible with ATT device rather than Verizon.

Idk how long it will take it to release factory unlocked version at the stores as current orders ships in 3-4 weeks, and also heard some apple stores starting to not allowing unlock on store pick ups which, is never have garanteed i guess.

Experts, help me out~

2. magicsul thread starter macrumors newbie

hello...

over 800 views..no response.. nobody has any idea?... drop a line plz....

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

1) iPhone 5 is not currently unlockable without your network doing it, no matter what eBay sellers selling you software say.

2) By cancelling the contract early - you will have to either a) return the phone or b) pay off the contract + your early termination fee, which combined will be way more than the phone's worth.

4. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Actually yes the AT&T iPhone 5 IS unlockable through eBay sellers with the IMEI unlock.

You will have to pay the ETF plus whatever monthly charges you incurred prior to the cancellation from AT&T to keep the phone and end the contract.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

False on both.
    There is many ebay sellers selling IMEI unlocks for AT&T iphones.
    I just got my on contract i5 unlocked yesterda.y.
    2 If you cancel the contract you pay the $325 ETF, that's it. Not the remaining contract so combined is not way more than the full priced iphone. You're still saving a little but not that much.
    Again, if you pay the ETF AT&T automaticly unlocks the iphone anyway, so you wont need the ebay unlock.

6. magicsul thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your advice

I was going to spend $700 for new iphone 5 anyways, actually I realize ordering new number and canceling it will save me a bit more.

just gotta make few phone calls though.

Thanks!!!

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that's what I did too.
    Im actually going to keep that line open on my family plan.
    Its only costing me $10 a month plus taxes and I can use it later when Im not due for an upgrade on my main line just to keep getting upgrades every year.
    One with each line:)