Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bill91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2020
Help!!!!

I ordered the iPhone 12 Pro on Friday, 10/23 through APPLE. After ordering, I realized instead of waiting 4 weeks to ship, I could pick up with plenty availability ay my local stores.

I canceled my order Saturday morning, but apparently it takes 24 hours to reflect on my account so I can reorder.

24 hours passed, still can't order (Sunday). I call Sunday and they tell me the department is closed, fine I'll call Monday.

I call Monday to get this done, "I've noted your account it will be done in 24 hrs." Fine.

I call Tuesday afternoon as there is still no resolution "It will be cleared in 5-6 hours" (actually your department just closes in 5-6 hours LOL).

I call yesterday and talk to a "higher Up." They processed the reversal and it will take 24 to 48 hours.....

I have plenty of Best Buy stores around me with availability, and I am stuck in this reversal loop, does anyone have experience? I am so frustrated, I am considering switching to Verizon. If anyone has advice, and has found a resolution to this in the past, please advise!!

Thank you!

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I had this issue back when I had the 6 Plus and it was such a pain. Basically I purchased the 6 Plus through Apple. I decided it was not for me and I decided to return it back to Apple. Apple processed the return and told me that my AT&T Next should reset. However it did not reversed. Apple tells me I need to deal with AT&T, because it's the carrier plan (but I purchased the phone at Apple). AT&T tells me because I purchased it at Apple, this needs to be done at Apple level. Of course it's been couple of days run through.

I took it up to the store manager at Apple and explained the situation (I even printed out a chat history of my conversation with AT&T). They told me they had AT&T rep working at the store but wasn't in at the time. So I gave my info. So eventually Apple was able to reverse it on their send since its as done on their Point of Sale. Basically they told me that somehow it got stuck in the server, so they had to manually override it. After that incident, I never purchase my phone on a device payment plan. Always outright.

Reactions: blairh and bill91

bill91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2020
I had this issue back when I had the 6 Plus and it was such a pain. Basically I purchased the 6 Plus through Apple. I decided it was not for me and I decided to return it back to Apple. Apple processed the return and told me that my AT&T Next should reset. However it did not reversed. Apple tells me I need to deal with AT&T, because it's the carrier plan (but I purchased the phone at Apple). AT&T tells me because I purchased it at Apple, this needs to be done at Apple level. Of course it's been couple of days run through.

I took it up to the store manager at Apple and explained the situation (I even printed out a chat history of my conversation with AT&T). They told me they had AT&T rep working at the store but wasn't in at the time. So I gave my info. So eventually Apple was able to reverse it on their send since its as done on their Point of Sale. Basically they told me that somehow it got stuck in the server, so they had to manually override it. After that incident, I never purchase my phone on a device payment plan. Always outright.
Thanks for sharing your experience. AT&T said it's Apple's issue, Apple says it's AT&T's issue for me as well. On my last call AT&T explained that since they had to manually override it, Apple can no longer reverse it and I have to wait the 24-48hrs. Just annoying. I may do the monthly payments on my Apple card instead, but now all the Apple stores are sold out - I do miss out on promos going that route though, but I'm also not locked into a carrier.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Thanks for sharing your experience. AT&T said it's Apple's issue, Apple says it's AT&T's issue for me as well. On my last call AT&T explained that since they had to manually override it, Apple can no longer reverse it and I have to wait the 24-48hrs. Just annoying. I may do the monthly payments on my Apple card instead, but now all the Apple stores are sold out - I do miss out on promos going that route though, but I'm also not locked into a carrier.
Yea that's what happened to me, ATT manually tried to override it but after 24-48 hours, nothing changed so I had to take it up with Apple. If this was done by Apple, it needs to be fixed on Apple's end.

Reactions: bill91

bill91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2020
Yea that's what happened to me, ATT manually tried to override it but after 24-48 hours, nothing changed so I had to take it up with Apple. If this was done by Apple, it needs to be fixed on Apple's end.
Thank you for the advice, I will call Apple - I'll report back with my findings!

wgaller

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2012
Just went through this yesterday, Apple has no control over changing upgrade status. Ordered phone at 9 - cancelled at 9:30, only ATT can reverse early, but it took three calls to get to the right department who can do it.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Just went through this yesterday, Apple has no control over changing upgrade status. Ordered phone at 9 - cancelled at 9:30, only ATT can reverse early, but it took three calls to get to the right department who can do it.
Weird. Unless the system changed then I guess AT&T but that was not the case for me when I got the 6 Plus. Because I got it at the Apple Store, everything needed to be done directly from Apple and not AT&T. For me, even though AT&T said they reversed it, it did not reverse and I had my reserved taken care off directly from Apple. But ever since then I always purchased my phone outright and currently on Verizon.

bill91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2020
Thanks, any idea the name of the department? This is driving me nuts

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Similar issue with Verizon for me. I pre-ordered a 12 and ended up canceling in favor of the 12 Pro. When I got to the Verizon store on launch morning they were unable to upgrade my line because of that pending order. I went through four or five different tiers and departments before being told it would be cleared within six hours. I ended up just using my wife's line for the upgrade since she refuses to give up her 8 (even for an SE 2).

Edit: I plan on using my line upgrade to buy a Mini to replace my old 7 as my backup (and potentially my 12 Pro as my main device as I'm still not digging the size increase over my 11 Pro). I just went to Verizon and added a 12 to my cart to go through the process and my line is still showing it's not eligible for an upgrade due to a pending order. Whack.

Last edited:

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Thanks, any idea the name of the department? This is driving me nuts
To add to my story, I even went to AT&T corporate store and they tried to help, they even contacted AT&T and the department that it should go to when issues like this happen, and they couldn't even reverse it. So they ended up contacting Apple themselves and advised that I get this taken care of at the Apple store. I guess it depends but as I said, mine was taken care of at the Apple Store level, not AT&T.

bill91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2020
Spoke with 3 people from Apple today. The 3rd person said it had to be escalated to the order support team, and it would be 24-48 hours....

bill91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2020
I may just get an unlocked one and join the iPhone Upgrade Program. It's always an issue with AT&T

wgaller

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2012
From what I understand it will eventually clear out through the system and reset, I was able to get a forced reset I guess. Not sure of department name.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
If you were at an AT&T store they could have called and changed this immediately for you. It's literally a button they can flip internally. I've had them do it for me, heck even Best Buy has been able to do it for me once.

Last edited:

bill91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2020
Update: I called AT&T, was on the phone for about 2 hours. They "escalated it to the highest team" and I would hear back within 3 business days. They couldn't reverse it, apparently they have to attempt to cancel the new contract? I asked them to please review and get back to me by tonight, or I would just have to find a new carrier. I didn't go full Karen, the person on the phone was extremely kind & helpful (as much as they could be).

DrivenDaily

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
Boston
I’m in a similar situation as you. I returned an unopened preorder to my local store on 10/23, as I was looking to exchange for another model. Preorder was financed through AT&T next. Upgrade eligibility wasnt reset when the return was processed so Apple called AT&T to put a case in that night to restore the upgrade eligibility. Multiple days later and many calls to AT&T it turns out that Apple didn’t do something on their end to prove to AT&T the phone was ever returned. Called Apple last night and the rep told me he saw what happened, stated that Apple had an action on their end, and it would be resolved within 24hrs. Fingers crossed here, but still waiting for it to be resolved a week later.

bill91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2020
I’m in a similar situation as you. I returned an unopened preorder to my local store on 10/23, as I was looking to exchange for another model. Preorder was financed through AT&T next. Upgrade eligibility wasnt reset when the return was processed so Apple called AT&T to put a case in that night to restore the upgrade eligibility. Multiple days later and many calls to AT&T it turns out that Apple didn’t do something on their end to prove to AT&T the phone was ever returned. Called Apple last night and the rep told me he saw what happened, stated that Apple had an action on their end, and it would be resolved within 24hrs. Fingers crossed here, but still waiting for it to be resolved a week later.
Hoping for the best for you! The team that my case was escalated to at AT&T reviewed it and stated it was invalid and that it's on Apple. I'm calling Apple again now for a hopeful resolution. Being told 24 hours every time I call is infuriating. I can't do anything with my existing line due to this and my account is basically locked up from any changes until it's resolved.

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020
Stop. Calling.

The people on the phone cannot help you. As other people have said, if you would just go to an AT&T store it would be done in minutes.

Reactions: mokeiko

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Help!!!!

I ordered the iPhone 12 Pro on Friday, 10/23 through APPLE. After ordering, I realized instead of waiting 4 weeks to ship, I could pick up with plenty availability ay my local stores.

I canceled my order Saturday morning, but apparently it takes 24 hours to reflect on my account so I can reorder.

24 hours passed, still can't order (Sunday). I call Sunday and they tell me the department is closed, fine I'll call Monday.

I call Monday to get this done, "I've noted your account it will be done in 24 hrs." Fine.

I call Tuesday afternoon as there is still no resolution "It will be cleared in 5-6 hours" (actually your department just closes in 5-6 hours LOL).

I call yesterday and talk to a "higher Up." They processed the reversal and it will take 24 to 48 hours.....

I have plenty of Best Buy stores around me with availability, and I am stuck in this reversal loop, does anyone have experience? I am so frustrated, I am considering switching to Verizon. If anyone has advice, and has found a resolution to this in the past, please advise!!

Thank you!
I am so sorry OP. I feel your pain. I hope you get this resolved soon. Loyalty is the best department IMO to deal with.

I'm in a similar boat. I purchased an 11 Pro Max through the Loyalty Dept. of AT&T on October 21st. They offered it to me at a discounted rate of $700 with 30 months of credits. Literally the next day I learned about their much better trade-in offer ($400 for a base model 12 PM with 30 months credit and eligible trade-in). Had Loyalty told me about this promo, I would of course never taken the offer they gave me.

So I went to my local AT&T store to return the 11 PM and they were unable to process a return on two separate occasions (told me to return the next day when it initially didn't work on their end). So I stupidly mailed back the 11 PM to AT&T on October 23rd. As of right now it's still in the process of making its way to Fort Worth, TX. (Mailed from Boston, currently in Atlanta as of yesterday afternoon.)

My account currently is in the status of this 30 month 11 PM contract, even though I never even opened the box. I called Loyalty and they said in order to remove this contract they need to receive the device and process this return. Hopefully they receive my 11 PM in the upcoming days and this can be taken care of before the 12 PM pre-order. I will call them and hound them until they do so. I've been with AT&T for 12 years and have never missed a payment.

This entire experience however has soured me on ever dealing with AT&T beyond simply obtaining cellular service from them. A return should be a dead simple process in their stores. It's not. Moving forward I plan on purchasing iPhones directly from Apple's site and picking up at a local retail store. And I think I'm done with any AT&T contracts moving forward too. Will purchase unlocked from Apple so I never have to set foot in AT&T ever again and deal with my upgrade status, etc.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Help!!!!

Thank you!
It took ATT 3 days to reverse back to eligible for me. I got the same run around, even had Apple and ATT on a 3 way call. It was the first Apple rep that said it would be 24 hours and then 2nd rep that said I had to wait until it went through automatically and would be around 3 days.

Last edited:

bill91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2020
It took ATT 3 days to reverse back to eligible for me. I got the same run around, even had Apple and ATT on a 3 way call. It was the Apple rep that said I had to wait until it went through automatically, which would be around 3 days.
You are lucky! I am on day 6

bill91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2020
Tried the Apple store as well. Nothing could be done there. I’ll just wait another few days and see what happens. I don’t even care about getting a new phone anymore, I just don’t want the $1099 balance on my AT&T account, for a device that was cancelled a week ago (and never even shipped to me).

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Tried the Apple store as well. Nothing could be done there. I’ll just wait another few days and see what happens. I don’t even care about getting a new phone anymore, I just don’t want the $1099 balance on my AT&T account, for a device that was cancelled a week ago (and never even shipped to me).

I'm assuming you purchased on an AT&T agreement. If so, call the Loyalty department (611, then just say 'loyalty'). They are honestly the best to deal with. If they can't help you, they should tell you what department is best for this. But I feel like they can handle this. Just explain you canceled an order and now your status won't allow you to purchase a new iPhone. This feels like something that can be taken care of by a supervisor in a department. Forget the retail stores. Those employees are morons. And I recommend not purchasing on an AT&T plan moving forward (use an Apple plan or purchase outright). I've decided I won't either given my recent experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.