Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philfry

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I took advantage of the iPhone 6 trade-in last year. It appears that the credits will stop if it is traded in or is sold. I don't know if anyone else took advantage of that but that reduces the chances of me getting the next iPhone unless they have a trade in deal on the iPhone 7.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
For the iPhone 7 release they accepted both the 6 and the 6S.
I’m just hoping that with the 8 release they’ll accept either a 7 or a 6S.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I took advantage of the iPhone 6 trade-in last year. It appears that the credits will stop if it is traded in or is sold. I don't know if anyone else took advantage of that but that reduces the chances of me getting the next iPhone unless they have a trade in deal on the iPhone 7.
Actually, selling is fine but obviously, the device will remain locked to AT&T and the buyer has to be okay with the fact that there's an outstanding loan on the device. Obviously, you'd need to pay in full for the new iPhone in order to continue receiving the credits. Maybe enrolling in the iPhone Upgrade Program might work, too, but that's a big maybe.

What stops the credits is if you trade it in or cancel the line.

Reactions: dontworry

philfry

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010

Does this mean if I pay it off in full ahead of time I will still get the remaining credits left? I actually used the upgrade on another line.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Does this mean if I pay it off in full ahead of time I will still get the remaining credits left? I actually used the upgrade on another line.
Thought this would be obvious but paying it off in full would void the credits as well as the credits are what's keeping you tethered to the carrier for 2 years.

wxnats

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Northern Virginia

I have the same credit and I think I remember the sales associate telling me it stops if I pay it off in full. You’re better off calling AT&T to ask them vs here.

dontworry

Suspended
Mar 18, 2010
Actually, selling is fine but obviously, the device will remain locked to AT&T and the buyer has to be okay with the fact that there's an outstanding loan on the device. Obviously, you'd need to pay in full for the new iPhone in order to continue receiving the credits. Maybe enrolling in the iPhone Upgrade Program might work, too, but that's a big maybe.

So i can give someone the 7 (swap their sim) and I purchase the 8 full price and put my sim in and still get the remaining credits?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
So i can give someone the 7 (swap their sim) and I purchase the 8 full price and put my sim in and still get the remaining credits?
Yes, I believe so. That's what I was planning on doing if I like the upgrades on the 2017 iPhone (pay in full for the new phone and just do a SIM swap).

When you think about it, if you damage or lose your iPhone while still within the installment period, you're probably gonna replace it with another device that's been paid outright in full, too, and AT&T would have just continued giving you the credits.

dontworry

Suspended
Mar 18, 2010
Yes, I believe so. That's what I was planning on doing if I like the upgrades on the 2017 iPhone (pay in full for the new phone and just do a SIM swap).

When you think about it, if you damage or lose your iPhone while still within the installment period, you're probably gonna replace it with another device that's been paid outright in full, too, and AT&T would have just continued giving you the credits.

yea i hope it works out that way.

Is there an option to pay in full for an iPhone for the pre orders, no next? i don't remember

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.