ATT IPHONE users: WIFI or 3G?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by joecatz, Mar 5, 2011.

1. joecatz macrumors member

So after doing my research I've come to the following conclusions if you own an Iphone through ATT

1) IOS 4.3 has hotspot.
    2) ATT offers tethering for $20 more a month, that adds the same 2G of data you get with the 3G plan for $5 less a month.
    3) you can switch back and forth as often as you like in a billing cycle if you don't plan on using it much, or make the switch forever if you prefer.
    3) If you don't need the extra 2G of data you can jailbreak and use MYWI for 19.99 and share your 2G with your Ipad.
    4) the 3G ipad regardless of size costs you $129 more and another $5/month for the same amount of tethered data.

Aside from the assisted GPS, and drain on battery life, why would anyone with an att Iphone buy a 3G Ipad?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

You forgot convenience, availability of push notifications, and Find My Phone functionality. Value of these will vary by individual, but they do exist.

It boils down whether GPS and convenience are worth the additional costs at purchase. Remembering also that some portion of that extra $129 will typically come back in resale.

In the end, it's a value decision specific to each individual based and there is no clear cut general answer saying "if this, then go wifi; if that, then go 3g".

We can discuss it to death, but you'll get no further than trying to discuss the merits of chocolate vs. strawberry ice cream.

You do know there are a bunch of other threads on this very topic, covering the same questions, right?

3. tek210 macrumors regular

tek210

I was thinking the same thing this morning. The only thing that will dictate my purchase is the GPS to use for playing golf. A nice 10 inch display mounted to to the upright of a golf cart. Will be great. But my plan is to not activate the 3G on the iPad. If I need connection outside a wifi hotspot I will just activate the personal hotspot on my iPhone 4. The one thing I will lose is the unlimited but I think 4G will be fine if I stop streaming XM on it. Will use my laptop when listening at work.

Hotspot seems to be a much better deal unless I am missing something.