ATT is now blocking data use on other ATT sims used in Iphone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richard371, Jun 18, 2009.

1. richard371 macrumors 68000

For the last year i was able to put the sim from my Bold into my 3G iphone and have all the data features etc. Now it looks like ATT has blocked this. This is a big bummer as on weekdays I like to carry the Bold and on weekends the Iphone 3G.

Can anyone else confirm this? The sim appears to work but says you are not connected to the data network when you try to access data.

2. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I only have one phone, but it could be that technically, the iPhone doesn't use a data plan. It uses the iPhone Data Plan. It might seem like splitting hairs, but that may be why it doesn't work in your iPhone. The sim will allow you to make calls, but when you try to use the data, the iPhone's MAC is sent and AT&T will know whether you have an iPhone data plan or not associated with that MAC.

3. levpa05 macrumors member

SIM Card

It may have worked before because of a flaw that is now addressed because of changes in the new 3GS. With updates to the ATT system, what was allowing you to switch the sim back and forth now wont. I am guessing but have heard and seen things like this before. Also, the new 3gs is coming with a new SIM so I am also wondering if there is something new in the SIM that it may not work in older iPhones as well (say if you want to switch it back and forth from the 3GS to the 3G)

4. richard371 thread starter macrumors 68000

This must be new as it worked fine for the last year. I have about 20 blackberry sims and non allow data on the iphone now.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

So technically your phone habits are like a mullet. Business in the front and party in the rear.

6. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

The only reason I may disagree with you last statement is I remember seeing AT&T saying that people can order the 3GS on one account but actually using it on another. But I may have been mistaken.

But I agree with you in that AT&T may have just fixed the problem. AT&T isn't in the business of giving away free coverage. Odds are they fixed it.