ATT loosing on iphone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by guruji, Apr 7, 2008.

1. guruji macrumors member

iphone hype may hurt at&t, as lot of people who want to join at&t, and high-end phone users, will go for iphone, so:

1. lot of these people on road, means lot of data traffic on at&t network, pulling network performance down 3G or 25g...
    2. depending on cut, most of their earnings, in 5 yrs, going to apple.
    3. other phone manufacturers, may turn away to other carriers.
    4. all iphone users buying content from apple- rev. to apple.
    5. after 5 yrs, at&t may be standing in a bad shape.

6. after 5 yrs, (if SJ gives best Hw in hands of people quickly and at reasonable price), apple will be very strong mobile-phone company like Nokia, which will drive the mobile market.

wat do u say?

good for at&t? bad?

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

If you think it's MOST of their earnings, you're crazy. Apple does have a revenue sharing agreement, that's true, but AT&T wouldn't have agreed to it if it was detrimental to their bottom line.

Also, it's "lose," not "loose," and dear GOD man, learn how to capitalize and spell. Please.

3. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

The only thing I can see the iPhone doing is boosting AT&T.

4. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

And the random punctuation wasn't helping either. That was very painful to read. I'm still not sure what he was trying to convey in a lot of that.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Thank you for showing that I'm not the only person on the Internet that knows the difference! If I've seen one person call another a "looser," I've seen a million.

As far as AT&T, they would've have gotten into such a deal if they were going to lose money. They rake in tons of money on every new teenager that gets a phone without any sort of text messaging plan.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You're suggesting that AT&T has set up a system by which the MORE customers they get they WORSE they do.

I'm not saying they're geniuses, but I'd like to think they figured out how to charge their customers more money than they're spending. That's pretty basic stuff.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Not to mention how much of a discount they give on cell phones to get you on their service. Most are reduced $200-300 for a 2-year contract. That means they're AT LEAST making $200-300 per person for every 2 years of business. My guess is of that $45 monthly bill, about $15 of it is pure profit.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

9. guruji thread starter macrumors member

hmmm

free data plan is wat i am talking about:

so far, i have:
    settings->usage->edge data:
    sent 8.3 mb
    recv 110mb

most of it is youtube browsing etc. meaning unnecessary data xfr.

do we know how has the data xfr stats changed with at&t netwrk since this phone & free data plan?

wat if everybody connected to one cell, starts watching utube and downloading data files in around same time? will the network break? i guess even at&t does not know that.

& thats how, how this consumer device is going to affect them.

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

But you know what...that is never going to happen where everyone goes online at the same time.

And if it does happen, AT&T can handle it. They don't lose money. Internet is extremely cheap, and they make their money elsewhere too. (IE: TEXTING)

11. Hmac macrumors 68020

The OP is only semi-literate.

12. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

First of all, there is no "free" data plan... There is a $20 data plan. And I'm sure ATT will be fine... This isn't some web-based startup whose servers are going to get overwhelmed. It's a 100 year old company who knows what they're doing.

13. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I think I loost my brain after reading the OP. But on the subject, I personally don't think that the iPhone will harm ATT, especially in the way that was descrbed. I can only see it helping them. They are going to make a customer out of me when the 3G one comes out :cool:

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Wave of the future, the iPhone is a darn good test of their current network.

Should show them where the problem areas they need to address are.

15. eBay macrumors member

how old are you? 12? You have no idea what you're talkin about bro.

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

17. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Ok guys, watch the hostilities. The OP may be misguided but there's no reason to start personal attacks.

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Wat do u mean? Are the words not xfering well? :D

19. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

The network won't "break", it will just get really slow. And what is the probability that every AT&T user in America is going to be in one city, connected to one tower, at the exact same time? This doesn't make sense, even hypothetically.

Do you think they don't have people working there, whose job is to analyze how data transfers affects their network, the profitability of the iPhone, etc.? They didn't just go, "Damn this iPhone looks great, let's take it!" They are a business, and an old one at that.

Lots of users is only good for AT&T as they get more money. They have a big network and lots of money, they're not some dinky small-bit player in the cellular market. If they notice their network getting slower, they will work to fix it. If they don't, they will lose customers and lose money.

20. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

I don't think any of your points are valid. AT&T is doing very well by their Apple partnership.

21. memesmith macrumors regular

And IIRC YouTube doesn't work on GSM, just wifi. So streaming media ain't going to break the network.