ATT LTE iPad Facetime?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jonfarr, Sep 19, 2012.

1. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

I have not seen anything on this outside of the iPhone. Will ATT allow iPad 3 users the ability to use facetime over cellular since we are on a very minimal data usage to begin with?

2. bryan85 macrumors regular

Not unless you are on the new shared data plan. The goes for personal hotspot as well.

3. aypues macrumors regular

Ya, im pretty bummed I cant do FT over cellular on my old unlimited plan. Im hoping the Net Neutrality laws will compel them to change their decision once the formal complaint has made its way thru the system.

4. jonfarr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

I dont understand how you get a shared data plan on a iPad? For me, I just have the option of buying different data tiers. I do the $30 for 3GB.

5. aypues macrumors regular

Exactly, i am in the same boat since I only am an ATT customer for my iPad and nothing else. I am on a verizon family plan for my phone. How do they expect us to share anything being on different networks?

6. Utpadelp macrumors newbie

AT&T data plans

According to the Apple iOS 6 Site:

FaceTime now works over cellular networks as well as Wi-Fi. *
    (*) Availability over a cellular network depends on carrier policies; data charges may apply.

--

According to AT&T representative:

Facetime over cellular is not available on your plan...

AT&T has elected to only permit Facetime on AT&T Mobile Share plans, but AT&T has no plan currently available for iPad-only customers.

According to AT&T site:
    "Our AT&T Mobile Share plans require at least one smartphone per group, and all additional devices must be on the same account."

Therefore, if a user purchases a "Wi-Fi + Cellular model", AT&T iPad, they are not permitted to use the full capabilities of the device on the AT&T network unless they also purchase an AT&T smartphone with a Mobile Share Plan.

--

It should be noted that Verizon has no restriction on use of the "Wi-Fi + Cellular model", Verizon iPad.

I spoke with a Verizon customer service representative regarding the use of FaceTime and “Personal Hotspot” on iOS6, and she indicated that , "...it's your data. Use it the way you want."

Here's wishing I had purchased the Verizon model iPad...

7. jonfarr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

Same here... I really hope someone takes ATT to court over this. It seems really ridiculous that I cannot use the hotspot or facetime over cellular when I am on their tiered data pricing, and not a unlimited plan.

We have a business plan with them with over 15 lines, I am gonna take my iPad into the store and get to the bottom of it.

8. aypues macrumors regular

Ok Facetime is now finally working over cellular for me! I am on a grandfathered unlimted plan and they finally unblocked me!!!

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

that's great!! :apple:

10. aneftp macrumors 68040

Verizon per FCC agreement cannot restrict lte usage. That's why they can't stop me from putting my lte sim from my phone in verizon lte iPad. And use true unlimited data. That's why verizon cannot block FaceTime over cellular.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Shared plans only work on the same carrier. Verizon prob offers a shared plan as well.

12. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

i am bummed out too as i am on ATT. i am just trying to finish our contract with ATT and might go with Verizon. there's so many restrictions with ATT even if i am with them for ages now.