Carrier ATT LTE woes...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Justin33, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Justin33 macrumors regular

Justin33

My 5S is on its way to me. After a co-worker got theirs today I realized all the sudden LTE isnt available at the tower that covers my work and home. (Yes, I live extremely close to work)

Thats not to say LTE isnt around. It is. Appears to be on every other tower around me. Since I spend all my time next to this one lousy POS, LTE- deficient tower, do I have any recourse? I'm not being a victim here, just curious.

BTW, my boss ALWAYS has lte on her phone at work but like I said this co-worker didnt. Is it possible they shut it off or something?

2. hbenitez09 macrumors regular

Maybe your co worker had LTE off from the device itself? It isn't possible for your boss to have LTE on AT&T but then someone else have the same service provider and no LTE. I'm sure you'll be fine a tower blankets a lot of land. The only thing I can think of is that the tower is down for repair

3. Justin33 thread starter macrumors regular

Justin33

Thanks but I checked and LTE was enabled on all devices. I'm saying, in the past my boss, at any given time, has had LTE. Maybe the CSR at ATT I chatted with just isnt well informed. I hope shes wrong.

4. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

excuse my ignorance but why would you need LTE when you're at work and at home? There's WiFi available at home and presumably at work right?

5. Justin33 thread starter macrumors regular

Justin33

Yes I have wifi at both places. Never had LTE plus if its faster than wifi, I'm all about it. Just excited to have it and I wish it was available from my tower.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you have a set amount of data I'd use the wifi instead so you don't go over your data plan or have to pay overages.
    Sometimes AT&T LTE can reach up to 60mbps down but it doesn't make much difference than being connected to a decent 10mbps+ wifi network.
    Its mostly for bragging rights and wifi will use up less phone battery.

7. Justin33 thread starter macrumors regular

Justin33

ok, so wifi uses less power than LTE?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, Wifi will use up less battery than pulling carrier data.
    But if you're at work and you can have it plugged in then you'd be fine either way:)
    Do a speedtest on your works wifi to see what average speeds you get.
    Also wait till you get your iphone before you start to worry about LTE.
    If one person gets AT&T LTE there then most likely you will also.

9. Justin33 thread starter macrumors regular

Justin33

I'm trying to be patient but its taking an eternity. Starting to think the 64gb was a mistake simply because of stock issues.

10. Bluemustang macrumors newbie

You have 14 days to try it out and decide whether this carrier works for you or not. I think they count the start of this 14 day period as starting from the day they send out your phone and charge your credit card.

LTE isn't always superfast. Some people's phone would show LTE but the speed is 3Mbps, for example. It's LTE alright, just not that fast.

It really depends on where you are.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Are your boss and coworker phones both iPhone 5/5s models? If not, what models are they?

Just a long shot theory, but it might be that the phone not receiving LTE could be equipped for LTE in the wrong frequency bands.

12. Justin33 thread starter macrumors regular

Justin33

No they both are 5S's. Your theory, could be... I'll just have to wait til I get mine and see. But it's this 1 tower for a whole area and it definitely used to be lte.

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Because for a good chunk of people LTE is still way faster than what they can afford for WIFI at home
    Maybe they are upgrading the backend or maybe you were receiving LTE form another tower and now this one is switched on and is taking over the other one. Check LTE coverage on your carrier site and the various threads on towers on forums I guess.

14. cynics macrumors G3

AT&Ts HPSA+ is still pretty fast. I'd only be worried about LTE when you are on Verizon or Sprint. Their the ones that have terrible 3G speeds and LTE really shows it's value.

Plus like mentioned just because it's LTE doesn't mean it's fast. I've seen LTE speeds dropping below that of 3G at times in certain areas.

And even if it is faster then wifi that doesn't always mean it's better. Ping times make a big difference. Loading a web page at 5mbs with a 10 ms ping is a better experience then at 10mbs with a 200 ms ping. I used to use Verizon LTE for my home network, 30-40 mbs download was typical. However I switched to Comcast and although it's 20 mbs download cap it's a MUCH better experience.

15. Justin33 thread starter macrumors regular

Justin33

My typical "4g" speeds on Att are 1.5-2 Mbps. Pathetic, IMO.

16. cynics macrumors G3

In comparison to what?

[​IMG]

1.5-2 mbs is the absolute fastest I've ever had on Verizon's non LTE network. I think I saw 2.4 before not sure though.

Regardless much over 2-3 mbs with a good ping will do practically everything an iPhone is capable of very quickly. It's not like it's an Android phone running a torrent and downloading a blueray movie. Biggest downloads on an iPhone are system and app updates and generally there best done on wifi for stability. 2-3 mbs can keep up with streaming video and music so......

17. solo118 macrumors 65816

at&t LTE has been great for me in NYC. Voice even improved compared to 12-18 months ago.

A random test while sitting in my office just showed 14mbps down, 8mbps up but I have seen it higher than that.

18. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Have you thought of switching carriers? Check Verizon and T-Mobile to see if you can get their LTE at home and work.

19. highertechnology macrumors 6502

I understand you want to use LTE because its "new" for you but take my advise. Use wifi anywhere and everywhere you can. Before you know it you will actually need LTE where wifi is not available and you will either have blown your plan by "testing it out" or are being throttled for the same reason.

I WISH I had wifi at work.

20. Justin33 thread starter macrumors regular

Justin33

Yeah I hear ya. I worked hard on cracking that wifi at my work. I am a self-taught wifi cracker (lol) but yeah it was worth it to save on the data. Although, I am on the unlimited plan.

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Your employer must be very proud of your ethics.

22. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Shouldn't have set WEP if it's meant to keep someone out.

23. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I get throttled about half way during the cycle every month lol and it's still pretty damn fast. I use about 8gb of unlimited at&t data monthly