ATT messed up my upgrade eligibility

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by galactic732, Jul 14, 2008.

1. galactic732 macrumors member

I went into the ATT store during my lunch today to find out that I was not able to upgrade for the 199/299 pricepoint.

I sold my iPhone last month and they knew I was using a borrowed razr.

I activated a new line on the iPhone on christmas day and have been using it right up until I sold it in June anticipating the new one.

My billing history clearly shows that I was an iPhone user and I provided the credit card statement of the purchase. All they could do was "give my information to someone" and call me back within 72 hours.

has anyone else had similar experiences/advice to help me out?

i'm really upset/bummed out right now as it is hard to live with a razr after having an iPhone

2. coffee58 macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me....

I had actually called the week prior to release to verify my eligibility (mind you my old iPhone had been sold for several weeks) and I was told that my wife and I were both eligible to upgrade. I stand in line from 5:00 AM until around 9:00 AM only to be told that I wasn't eligible, but my wife's account was? So I was told that I would have to pay $499.99 and an exception form would have to be filled out and a credit sent out to me in a week to ten days. Of course I wasn't having the repsonse so I worked it out with the store manager to purchase the phone under my wife's account and activate it under mine. The phone is on my desk currently and working just fine. I don't know if this will help you necessarily, but maybe someone will find this helpful.

3. galactic732 thread starter macrumors member

unfortunately i am the only line on my account :(

4. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

I had a some-what similar problem at first.

I bought an iPhone this January, when creating a new AT&T account. It was the only phone I ever used. About a month ago I sold my iPhone on ebay and used a cheap go-phone that I bought from Best Buy. They knew this. They even changed my plan to exclude the data, and what not.

I went into the store last Monday and checked my upgrade status. They said that I was not eligible. After hearing this news I went back to my office and checked the upgrade checker online at att.com/mywireless again, and it still stated that I was, so I called customer service and they also confirmed that I was eligible...So I called my AT&T store BACK and told them this, and they told me to "take the info you're getting at a store with a grain of salt. Your account status online and customer service both probably have better information then they do", etc. They also told me to print off the website where it says that I'm eligible, and bring it in, because they wouldn't be able to dispute that.

When I went this Saturday to purchase my new iPhone, they too showed that I AM eligible, so something changed between last week and this past weekend.

So in short....Does the website say that you're upgrade eligible?

5. galactic732 thread starter macrumors member

online says that I'm not eligible.

i don't understand this bc I opened the account on the iPhone and used it until the day i sold it

6. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

That is the problem, you dropped it from your account. The subsidizing is for "Current iPhone Users" not "Former iPhone Users." You would have had to keep the iPhone data plan to remain eligible. The reason for that is because whoever you sold your phone to is now eligible for the subsidized price because they have an iPhone, so now two people WOULD be eligible for the subsidized price because of one iPhone.

7. timjames916 macrumors newbie

Renting a 8MB iPhone phone.

Not helpful, but another bungle.

Treo 750 blew out on the 7/8. I am available for an upgrade on 7/25. Two phone calls to AT&T to confirm and have account notation that I can use upgrade on an iPhone on 7/11. It is even suggested I purchase at an ATT store, versus an Apple store, to recieve upgrade status. After three hours in line the store will not accept an early upgrade - no way, no how. The solution I worked out and confirmed with the store is I bought a 8MB and will use it till 7/26, then return for a 16MB and they will refund me $100 - the difference between a non-upgrade 8 and a upgrade 16. There will be a restock fee but I consider that the "rental" fee on an 8MB iPhone instead of waiting for 14 days or buying a new Treo. It is just silly. Oh, well.

Great phone by the way!

8. D3lta macrumors 6502a

That's wierd, I sold my iPhone in early June and was able to get the $199/$299 pricing.

Did you keep the $20 data plan on your account?

9. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I hate to break it to you, but AT&T didn't ruin your eligibility, you did... when you sold your iPhone early and switched to the razr, you cancelled your iPhone plan, thus, making you INELIGIBLE..

I'll never understand why people would sell their old iPhone before they even get the new one, there's just too many variables..

10. galactic732 thread starter macrumors member

it got removed automatically.

the press release clearly states that its available to "iPhone customers who purchased before July 11th"

I got it for xmas, does really borrowing a piece of **** razr really make me a non-iPhone customer even though I used it for over half a year.

I have never received a subsidized phone from ATT so it makes no sense to me that I can't be given this one as long as I sign a new 2-year agreement

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Unfortunately, using that RAZR made you a non-iPhone customer and thus revoking your elgibility upgrade status automatically.

12. galactic732 thread starter macrumors member

is there any way to get that status back?

I think it's unfair that I would have to pay the higher price...

correct me if I'm wrong or if you don't agree

Are there any actions I can take to fix this awful situation I am in?

13. harodude macrumors regular

To Galactic-

Through my direct involvement in this is exact situation on my own lines, I am still to this day eligible for upgrade, even after wiping out the iPhone data plan.

I really dont understand why they have messed with your account...
    Did they put some type of data plan or other addition onto your Razr?

PM with your aim or message me if you have aim... Mine is haloplaya08
    I think I could help you through this.

14. galactic732 thread starter macrumors member

15. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

OK. I'll bite. How did your situation get resolved? Inquiring minds want to know.

ft

16. galactic732 thread starter macrumors member

ill explain after i go into the store and order my phone today.

17. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

Check this out, I go into the local AT&T store in in the first 8 people and I am told that I am not upgrade eligiable, I told the mgr that I was aware of that but still wanted the 16g white. She goes to ring it up and says "hmmm you got the 299 price." Well I was not going to argue with that and did not cause any excitement over it until I got in my truck with $200 more in my pocket. Then I took my BB 8310 to a friend that bought it for 200.00. Net price $99.00 for the new IPhone... NOt sure why, but didnt ask!:eek:

18. justanothernerd macrumors member

Yeah for corporate apologists! YOU GUYS ROCK

On a more serious note, you need to stop saying such silly things. I was in the same situation. I gave my old iPhone to my sister and activated a crummy old GSM phone I had lying around. Now, I did this with the consent of AT&T. Before doing anything, I called to tell them that this is what I'm doing and they said fine. Sure enough, come July 11th, I was ineligible. I went to the store, told them to get it together and make me eligible; waited 72 hours, and got a nice email from a guy named Scott saying my account is a'ok and online I'm totally eligible now.

AT&T is going to be making more than enough money off of us over the next two years, so it's kind of foolish to be worrying about their position. They just got a MILLION new or re-signed customers this weekend. Considering how much money their poised to make, they should be making $199/299 iPhones easy to get.