att mms on family plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eedna, Jun 13, 2009.

1. eedna macrumors member

I called att customer service last night to see if they could enable mms for me, manually, and the woman on the phone said that because i was on a family plan, with unlimited text and mms, that i should be able to get mms immediately. but, when i asked if she was sure and explained to her that the announcement for the iphone getting mms would take till the end of summer she said she didnt know anything about that. so my question is, did she just not know what she was talking about? or will people who have iphones on family plans with unlimited txt already have mms immediately?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I would definitely be leaning towards "she hath no way in HELL what she speaketh about!"

3. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

I think she may be right. I have used Swirly MMS for nearly a year with no problems at all. I never had to call AT&T to enable or change anything. I have the family text plan.

4. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

5. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

A family plan $30/mon unlimited MESSAGING service provides all types of messaging for that rate. Don't worry, I looked that up the moment I found out MMS was coming later in the summer. Just go online, and look at the details for the unlimited messaging for families. All of the info you seek will be listed there. As for the activation of MMS, I'm thinking we will be waiting for AT&T to do whatever they need to.

6. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

Wont you need the carrier update that has ATT 5.0. All the GM releases are 4.0 disabling MMS. You could always update your carrier setting and get it i guess.

7. ikarus79m macrumors member

Unfortunately I don't think you guys are correct. I also have a family plan and put my SIM into my Samsung phone the other day. Went to the media net site and enabled that for my phone number and voila, I was able to send and receive MMS on my Samsung.

However, when I tried the same thing the next day my Samsung says "Forbidden" - I could no longer send MMS.

So I call AT&T and they tell me that the network recognizes that I "illegally" sent MMS and they blocked it. The lady said the only way for me to remove the block is to remove my iPhone Data Plan....

WTF!!!

8. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

Maybe mine works because I have the original 2G iPhone?

9. KSUWizard macrumors member

I am also on a family plan with the unlimited family messaging plan and I am the only one with an iPhone. The rest of my family can send/recieve mms just fine. The only thing that I noticed is that I don't recieve the text saying I can view my message on a website. Doing some trolling, I found that this notification sms doesn't work on the family texting plan. I'm not sure why you couldn't do mms on your other phone as I took my sim card out and plugged into my old razr and did mms just fine. I believe that att will NOT make any rate plan change to mms on the iphone as the texting plan includes all texting, picture messaging, video messaging, and IM, across the board on all phones. Anyways, just my thoughts on the matter. Give it time and we will be able to send all the dirty picture messages we want.