ATT Mobile share contract upgrade price increase

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pi6xjdskfa, Sep 12, 2014.

1. pi6xjdskfa macrumors newbie

Sep 10, 2014
    Our family has an ATT 10 GB mobile share plan with 5 lines for about $175-240 a month.

We have 3 upgrade eligibilities(2-year contract done) and want to upgrade to iPhone 6/6+. However, when attempting to upgrade phones to iphone 6 with 2-year contract we saw the fine print:

"You will not receive Mobile Share Value discounts if you choose this option."

*Activation fees may apply. Up to $25 Savings: Compares Mobile Share Value plan pricing for smartphone line on no annual service contract (AT&T NextSM, bring your own, pay full price, or month-to-month) to one on a 2 yr wireless agmt. Discount/savings is $25 per smartphone line on plans 10 GB and higher, and $15 for plans less than 10 GB. If you upgrade to a new 2-yr agmt the discount is lost. 2-year contract pricing requires new activation and qualifying monthly data and voice plan. Limit 5 iPhone devices per household when ordering online
    For "AT&T Next℠ Installment" option the site says: "Save up to $25/mo. on your Mobile Share Value plan"

How much will our Mobile Share plan increase if I upgrade one line to iPhone 6 with 2-year contract? I know ATT is trying to get everyone to NEXT plan but I read it is kind of a rip off.

Please help.

2. Kawiz macrumors newbie

Sep 12, 2014
    Hey. So I'm going to try and explain. If u have the 10gb value family plan and you upgrade using Next, u get $25 off a month per line. When u originally switched to the value plan you went from paying the base ($100 for 10gb) plus $40 a line to paying base plus $15 per line. This results in that $25 discount. However, if u choose to upgrade by signing a 2 yr contract, ur bill will go back up to $40 a line (so $25 more a month) plus u pay a $40 activation fee and whatever the phone costs ($199-$499). When I calculated this for my self (I am on the 15gb value plan w 4 lines) it is cheaper for me to go thru Next. Hope it makes sense.