Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Hi all,

Let's assume I'm on ATT's Mobile Value Share Plan for 10GB and I'm eligible for a full upgrade (if that matters), when/if a new iPhone comes out what are my choices to upgrade? As I read it I have only 2 choices:
- Buy a full retail price iPhone (eg. $649 iPhone 5S)
- Join the NEXT leasing program (e.g. $0 down but adds monthly payments to my bill)

Is that right? That would be it's not possible to go back to the old school way of paying $199 and signing a 2 year contract?

Thanks

MacKai

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
East Bay Area, CA
You can still sign up for a 2 year contract. You just will have to pay $40 per smartphone on you mobile share plan. If you pay for the phone up front or use the NEXT program you will pay $15 per smartphone a month.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Hi all,

Let's assume I'm on ATT's Mobile Value Share Plan for 10GB and I'm eligible for a full upgrade (if that matters), when/if a new iPhone comes out what are my choices to upgrade? As I read it I have only 2 choices:
- Buy a full retail price iPhone (eg. $649 iPhone 5S)
- Join the NEXT leasing program (e.g. $0 down but adds monthly payments to my bill)

Is that right? That would be it's not possible to go back to the old school way of paying $199 and signing a 2 year contract?

Thanks

Here are your options:

AT&T Mobile Share Value 10GB w/2 year contract
Plan Cost (1 phone): $140/mo x 24 = $3,360
Initial Device Cost: $199
Upgrade Fee: $36
Total 2-year Cost: $3,595

AT&T Mobile Share Value 10GB and pay full price outright
Plan Cost (1 phone): $115/mo x 24 = $2,760
Device Cost: $650
Total Monthly Cost: $115/mo
Upgrade Fee: $0
Total 2-year Cost: $3,410

AT&T Mobile Share Value 10GB w/AT&T Next 12
Device Installment Cost: $32.50/mo x 20 = $650
Total Monthly Cost: $147.50/mo
Total 2-year Cost: $3,410

AT&T Mobile Share Value 10GB w/AT&T Next 18
Device Installment Cost: $25/mo x 24 = $600 (w/$50 remaining balance)
Total Monthly Cost: $140/mo
Total 2-year Cost: $3,360 (w/$50 remaining balance on phone)

Hmm, why would you want to go the subsidy route again?

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010

Really great breakdown, thank you! Next gets even more eliminated when you add the -$400 resale value of owned (not leased) iPhone. I agree that 2yr and Value Share with outright purchased phones are the best with about $100 difference. My numbers showed the same.

But, back to the original question, can you even go back to the 2yr plan? Everything I read says Next or purchased full price phone are the only choices.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Really great breakdown, thank you! Next gets even more eliminated when you add the -$400 resale value of owned (not leased) iPhone. I agree that 2yr and Value Share with outright purchased phones are the best with about $100 difference. My numbers showed the same.

You aren't required to turn in the phone on next. It's exactly the same cost as buying the phone outright and it is yours after you've finished your payments.

But, back to the original question, can you even go back to the 2yr plan? Everything I read says Next or purchased full price phone are the only choices.

Call and ask AT&T. I am almost positive that the old non-Shared plans are available.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

In case you missed it, going back to a 2-year contract with the Mobile Share Value plans is the worst option.

Here is a summary of the total 2-year costs:

2-year Contract: $3,595
Full Price Purchase: $3,410
AT&T Next 12: $3,410
AT&T Next 18: $3,360 (with $50 balance)

Basically, you're paying an additional $185 if you go with the traditional subsidy model. Also, Next is a 0% interest installment program, not a lease program. Once you've paid off the device, you're eligible to keep it and have it unlocked so you're not really losing out on any resale value. You can also pay off the remaining balance on the device at any time you want if you want to stop paying the additional monthly payments. Really, the only downside to Next over paying full price is the phone is locked until you've paid off the entire balance.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA

I agree, nice breakdown.

Just wondering, with the Next program, doesn't it require to return the phone? I recently switched to the Mobile Share plan (2 lines - $15 for my iP5S and $10 for my iPad 3) and have been thinking about how to get the iPhone 6. I'm trying to decide between buying it outright or using the Next program. I upgrade to the latest iPhone every year.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
In case you missed it, going back to a 2-year contract with the Mobile Share Value plans is the worst option.

I did not miss that, as I pointed out. I'm trying to be nice, but I'm clearly asking a different question, do you know the answer to the question?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I agree, nice breakdown.

Just wondering, with the Next program, doesn't it require to return the phone? I recently switched to the Mobile Share plan (2 lines - $15 for my iP5S and $10 for my iPad 3) and have been thinking about how to get the iPhone 6. I'm trying to decide between buying it outright or using the Next program. I upgrade to the latest iPhone every year.
If you upgrade every year, then you'll have to either pay off the remainder of the balance after 12 months or turn in the phone. Essentially, trade-in value is 40% of the phone's initial cost if you upgrade yearly on the dot.

e.g.

buy iPhone 6 16GB with $0 down ($650 MSRP)
make 12 payments of $32.50 ($390)
trade in value with Next 12: $650 - $390 = $260

You're not required to trade in the phone to AT&T. You have the option to just pay off the $260 and sell it yourself on Swappa or ebay for $400 or something and just pocket the $140 to pay for the monthly installment on your new Next phone. ;)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I did not miss that, as I pointed out. I'm trying to be nice, but I'm clearly asking a different question, do you know the answer to the question?

I agree that 2yr and Value Share with outright purchased phones are the best with about $100 difference. My numbers showed the same.

It looks like you did miss my point. I do not agree that the 2-year contract is a good deal. It's more expensive than Next overall, you have to pay an upfront fee and in both cases, you own the phone after 2 years anyway. Actually, on Next 12, you own the phone after just 20 months and your bill will drop to $115 for the remaining 4 months in the 2nd year.

That said, I don't believe you can go back to the old non-Share plans but you can still sign up for a 2-year contract with Mobile Share Value plans. As I've shown in the calculations above though, it doesn't make financial sense. Going with 2-year contract increases your plan cost by $25/mo so that's $25 x 24=$600 after 2 years. Add the $199 upfront cost and $36 upgrade fee and you're essentially paying $835 for a $650 phone.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Good points to both of you that I don't have to turn the phone back in on NEXT or EDGE. I just checked both of the fine prints. Thanks.

I don't think we've made much progress on the original question since we have both opposing answers now. Dang.

----------

It looks like you did miss my point. I do not agree that the 2-year contract is a good deal. It's more expensive than Next overall, you have to pay an upfront fee and in both cases, you own the phone after 2 years anyway. Actually, on Next 12, you own the phone after just 20 months and your bill will drop to $115 for the remaining 4 months in the 2nd year.

See "with about $100 difference". I guess it would help to say from that start that I'm not concerned about figuring this out to save the max amount over 2 years. I'm just curious about the original question.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I don't think we've made much progress on the original question since we have both opposing answers now. Dang.
If it wasn't obvious to you, the first option on my first reply already is the 2-year contract with "subsidy" and $199 upfront fee so yes, it's possible to still get a 2-year contract. It just costs more compared to other options.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Good points to both of you that I don't have to turn the phone back in on NEXT or EDGE. I just checked both of the fine prints. Thanks.

----------

See "with about $100 difference". I guess it would help to say from that start that I'm not concerned about figuring this out to save the max amount over 2 years. I'm just curious about the original question.

At this point, yes, you can get a new device at a subsidized price by signing up for another 2 year contract, assuming you've completed your previous contract commitment. As MacKai mentioned in the 2nd post, any line locked into a 2 year contact will cost $40/month vs. $15/month for any unsubsidized line (Next, full retail paid up front, or bring your own device).

A friend manages a local AT&T store here and I just went through these options with him when adding my mother-in-law to our shared plan.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
If it wasn't obvious to you, the first option on my first reply already is the 2-year contract with "subsidy" and $199 upfront fee so yes, it's possible to still get a 2-year contract. It just costs more compared to other options.

Call me old fashion, but since you didn't answer the question it wasn't obvious to me that you answered the question. :cool:

----------

At this point, yes, you can get a new device at a subsidized price by signing up for another 2 year contract, assuming you've completed your previous contract commitment. As MacKai mentioned in the 2nd post, any line locked into a 2 year contact will cost $40/month vs. $15/month for any unsubsidized line (Next, full retail paid up front, or bring your own device).

A friend manages a local AT&T store here and I just went through these options with him when adding my mother-in-law to our shared plan.

Great info, Thanks man

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Unlimited data plans....
For those already grandfathered in to the old plans, sure. Heck, if you're not a big data user, some of the old family plans are pretty nice particularly if you still have some dumbphones on the account. Before I upgraded my parents to smartphones, we were getting 2 new iPhones every year (mine and my brother's) on subsidy while paying just $160/mo for 4 lines.

If you're on an existing Mobile Share Value plan, then you're paying considerably more for the subsidy than if you just buy the phone outright.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Just wondering, with the Next program, doesn't it require to return the phone?

Nope. Not if you just treat the program as 20 or 26 month 0% financing.

Turning in your phone is ONLY required if you do the 12 month or 20 month upgrade. Then they excuse the remaining payments. Better to just sell it yourself and pay off the financing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.