Att new plans: Buying full price off contract day one

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metsjetsfan, Feb 4, 2014.

1. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

With att getting rid of the subsidy for those going to the new plans, as it stands now there will be no way for us to purchase the iphone 6 at full price on day one. For those that dont want to use NEXT. The full price off contract phones dont come out until much later.

Also if you were to buy the off contract what is the process to do this? Buy from apple the go to an att store to activate?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are the stopping subsidies outright because I see they're still offering them.

3. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

4. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Off-contract sim free phones don't get released till later but you can still purchase an AT&T phone off contract at full price. I've done this multiple times with pre-orders and on launch day.

5. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

you're not paying full price for a locked phone, are you?

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The full price unlocked AT&T phones are available on day one. You're thinking of the SIM free model, which is also full price and unlocked, but not normally available until later.

Walk into an Apple store or AT&T store(or probably even a Verizon store, they should work on AT&T too), and ask for an off contract phone.

7. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

Only for those on the new plans

----------

Think swordfish is. I guess its that or wait. If you dont travel abroad i guess it doesnt matter.

Hopefully by the time the 6 is out they will offer off contract sim free on day 1.

Thanks to all for the helpful responses

8. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

man, that would be terrible to pay full price for a locked phone.

9. alent1234 macrumors 603

unless you absolutely have to have an iphone on day 1 its better to wait
    last 2 years third party retailers had some awesome deals on iphone 5S starting in November
    now with NEXT and JUMP turning 1 year old and the first phones coming off contract and the price of the bill dropping expect full price phones to start dropping in price a month or two after release as well

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

No, if you buy at an Apple store you can choose to pay full price for an unlocked AT&T or T-Mobile phone (which will run on AT&T's network).

In years past however, AT&T will refuse to sell you an unlocked full price iPhone at launch at either a retail store or online. Now that they've introduced Next, that will change I bet.

11. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

well, yeah, I know that, I just didn't know what AT&T sells on their site.

12. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

I pre-ordered my 5 first day it was available and paid full price thru apple.com. The phone came factory unlocked.

13. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess we will have to see. I bet there will be yet another new set of rules by the time the 6 comes out

14. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I liked reading your post that full price phones would drop but as much as I want that I think that is wishful thinking isn't it? Where have you ever seen a current model iPhone cheaper than 650? If anything besides apple store everywhere else its actually more lol