Carrier ATT Next 12 Through Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NativeTxn, Sep 7, 2016.

1. NativeTxn macrumors regular

I was at Apple playing around with "ordering" an iP7 - basically building it the way I would want it but then it doesn't let you order it yet (obviously).

The thing I noticed though is that when talking about AT&T Next, it mentions the ability to upgrade after 12 or 24 months (see screenshot 4.48.44).

But when I select that, it only gives me the option of doing the Next 24 (see screenshot 4.49.39).

If I select "Choose a different payment option" on the second screen, it just takes me back to the first payment selection screen.

Last year, I ordered through Apple for the 6S+ and was able to choose Next 12.

Does anyone know if we will be able to choose AT&T Next 12 through Apple when Pre-orders actually open? Or are you stuck with Next 24 if you order through Apple?

Attached Files:

2. frostrambler macrumors member

3. rwkleinjr macrumors regular

I thought their "Next" option was basically Next 12, since underneath it says you can upgrade every 12 or 24 months (screenshot 1).

4. NativeTxn thread starter macrumors regular

I was assuming that you could choose either Next 12 or Next 24, but based on what I've seen at this point going through the process, that doesn't appear to be the case.

I tested this by then "upgrading" to a different phone than I have now, and it still seemed to only let me know Next 24.

So, I am wondering if they changed their setup where through Apple you can now only choose Next 24, if they will have other Next options on pre-order day, or if I am just missing something and you can actually already select Next 12 through Apple.

5. rwkleinjr macrumors regular

Well, if Apple's site is saying you'd be able to sign up for Next and upgrade in 12 months, I'd believe that - or at least expect to be able to hold them accountable if you purchase the phone and they tell you after the fact their 12 month detail was incorrect. That's what I'll be doing, at least.

6. frostrambler macrumors member

So don't worry, I just checked, if you choose NEXT and click continue, it will ask you for your att number and account info, after that it completes a verification check and gives you option of ATT 24 or ATT 30, ATT 24 let's you make 12 payments and upgrade, so it's all fine.

7. smarks90 macrumors regular

AT&T changed their NEXT plans around this Summer (June I believe). went from the previous 4 options (12,18,20,24) down to just the 2. see link: https://9to5mac.com/2016/05/23/att-next-plan-changes/

essentially- Next Every year is = Next 12 and standard NEXT is a cheaper (and longer financed) time.

"Currently, if you buy a new device on AT&T Next, these are the available options:

• AT&T Next 24: Trade in and upgrade after 24 installments; 30 installments to payoff.
    • AT&T Next 18: Trade in and upgrade after 18 installments; 24 installments to payoff
    • AT&T Next 12: Trade in and upgrade after 12 installments; 20 installments to payoff.
    • AT&T Next with down payment:30% of the device cost down and trade in and upgrade after 12 installments; 28 installments to payoff.
    But starting June 9th, AT&T is reducing its Next options from four to two and promoting the down payment option for both remaining plans. These are the plans that are coming next month:

• AT&T Next Every Year: Upgrade to a new device every year, with a 24-month financing program term.
    • AT&T Next: Upgrade every 2 years, with a 30-month financing program term.
    Next Every Year works like AT&T Next 12, which was a confusing name as it allowed upgrades after one year but required almost two years of payments to be paid off. And the new plan simply called Next is like AT&T Next 24 which allows upgrades every two years with trade-ins or early pay-offs but 30 full payments to complete in total.

Next Every Year is for customers wanting to upgrade every year (say, the latest iPhone every fall) while Next offers lower monthly payments and upgrade options every other year.

With either plan, AT&T is also promoting ways customers can reduce monthly payments:

• Device Trade-in: Customers who own their device, can trade it in and apply the value toward the new device cost in AT&T retail stores.
    • Down payment: Customers can put money down at the time of purchase to apply towards the new device cost.
    Next Every Year allows upgrades after 12 payments or paying off 50% of the device; Next offers upgrades after 24 payments or paying for 80% of the device."

8. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

there is no "Next 12" or "Next 24" it's simply "Next"...you have both options regardless, just depends on how you choose to pay off or upgrade your device is what I gather from the options with the wording stating "pay off your device in 12 or 24 months."

Whatever the prices shows for the 24 month payments, I'd assume pay double that if you want to to pay it off in 12?

If you have the ATT app and look at your details it will tell you how much you have left to pay off the device (keep it) or how much you need to upgrade (surrender). They have also now separated the Next plan to where you can pay only on it and how much you want to in addition to what you are required to pay per month on the device. When it first rolled out it was not allowed.

9. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I assume the ATT payment plan results in a locked phone, while Apple's is unlocked? and that ATT still entices you by offering discounts on your service plan?

Also, how does one give back the old phone? I was on ATT's site and they indicated a mailer would be sent, but I could only get so far in the checkout since I still owe on my plan.

10. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I need to pay $277 to upgrade or $514 to pay off the Next on my 128GB 6s Plus.

11. Alexrat1996 Suspended

12. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

So the AT&T Next plan when ordering through Apple is Next Every Year?