Att Next buying upgrade early?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richpuer, Apr 11, 2015.

1. richpuer macrumors 6502

So I have the 6+ 64 and I'm thinking of upgrading early to the 6. On my next plan it's currently 12 months and I pay around 42 a month. I had it since last September launch and it says if I pay $224 I can buy my upgrade early and get the 6. Then pay around 30 a month if I select 12 months.

I do plan to get the next release this year in sept so I was thinking I'd just buy the upgrade again since it won't be 12 months yet when the next iPhone comes.

Is this a bad idea? Too much of a loss on the phones? I'm wondering in September will my upgrade fee still be around 200. Anyone done this?

2. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You have the 6+, but want to "upgrade" to the 6?

3. richpuer thread starter macrumors 6502

Correct, I hate the 6+ it's too big. Dropping it everywhere with one hand use

4. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

Sell the plus and use the money to buy a 6. Or you could post on Craig's list that you want to trade.

5. BeeGood, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

This is a horrible deal for you. Based on the information you gave, I figure you have about $500ish left on your installment plan (you can check this on AT&T's site) .You would likely net $650-$700 if you sold the plus yourself (assuming it's in good condition). So you could sell it, pay it off, get on a new NEXT plan for the 6 and pocket a little money.

AT&T, on the other hand, wants you to PAY them for the privilege of turning your phone over to them and getting on a new NEXT plan for the 6.

The "trade-in" part of NEXT is almost always a bad deal. Sell your phone yourself, settle up with AT&T, and get what you want.

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I've been using AT&T next to hop phones since it was introduced. I personally don't see it as a big deal.

Like you, I wanted to dump my phablet (Note 4) for a smaller device (S6). The size was bugging me like crazy, so I desperately wanted out.

In your case though, I'd really wait 5 months for the iPhone 6S. It's not all that far off. But, if you've got the money though, and it won't disturb your finances at all, then do it. No big deal in my book.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Dropped your phone all the time? I would suggest you to buy a rubbered case so that it will not slip out of your hand. :apple:

8. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Apple's silicon case works great, iPhone doesn't slide anywhere.

9. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Plenty of people do this on Craigslist. I suggest doing exactly "this".. Some people try to trade down and want cash as well.

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Trade it here or somewhere else for a 6 and cash.
    Keep paying next and upgrade to the 6s and sell off the 6.

11. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

I don't see anything wrong with what you did. In fact I just did the opposite of what you were doing and had the 6 64GB and was interested in the Plus 64GB. So I just paid $187.50 to be able to trade in then paid the 6% taxes on my new phone.

If you're not not into online selling and don't want to deal with the hassles I recommend trading in your phone if your finances allow it definitely.

And, just like you, I will be probably getting the 6s Plus whenever it comes out and I will just trade in again.

12. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Nothing wrong with this at all as long as one understands what's going on. In the case of the OP, he would be parting with about $800-$900 in value (his current phone plus $224 "upgrade fee" to satisfy a $500ish obligation (his current NEXT plan balance). There is a cheaper way to do this, but if he's willing to chalk this up to a "convenience fee" as you have, definitely nothing wrong with that.

I just want to reiterate that AT&T will always value a trade-in phone waaaay less than the market (eBay, Craigslist, Swappa, etc) will. They are hoping that people won't do the math, walk into the carrier store and hand them an expensive phone for cheap.

Edit: One other thing. Gazelle is offering $450 for 64 gig 6+ on AT&T. I've used Gazelle...there is literally no easier way to get cash for a phone. And $450 is still a better deal than what AT&T is offering him (he'd be out of pocket about $50-$100 as opposed to $224).

13. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

If I were you I would list the 6+ on Swappa. Sell that. Take the money pay off the NEXT agreement and then get a new 6. You would most likely come out even and just have to pay the tax on the 6, but maybe the sale of the 6+ would even cover that?

14. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

Trade on CL just as many have said...I even traded my iPhone 6 128gb for a 6+ 64gb over the weekend with a guy who really had ATT but bought a Verizon iPhone in case he wanted to trade or sale it later. We met at a Verizon store and within 5 mins my "new" phone was activated and my "friend" was out the door to enjoy his Saturday with his family. Easy smooth transaction

My phone was in like new conditions and his was too - we laughed because my iphone had a zagg glass shield and his did too...

I would put an ad up and weed thru the scammers and see what happens before buying out to upgrade....Good Luck - Oh and request a 128gb 6 or some cash from the trade of a 64gb.

15. inboxer macrumors regular

I've sold phones using eBay, Amazon Trade In, Gazelle, BuyBackWorld, and Nextworth. Ebay can be a hassle and I've been scammed on it before. If you want cash and zero risk, either Gazelle, BuyBackWorld, or Nextworth are your best bets. You can pick any one of those 3 and just sell to whichever company offers you the highest price. Amazon trade in is good, but they only pay you in Amazon credit and the process takes longer than expected.

If you are looking to sell an iPhone 6 Plus 64GB, it looks like BuyBackWorld has the best cash trade in value over Gazelle at the moment.