Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ovo6

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
First time doin a trade in on att next, my 6s is not payoff but I can do a trade in. How exactly does it works.? Can I do it online @ att.com or Apple.com or I have to go in store to trade in, can I buy it the new iPhone and take The old one to a att store after a couple days or something

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
First time doin a trade in on att next, my 6s is not payoff but I can do a trade in. How exactly does it works.? Can I do it online @ att.com or Apple.com or I have to go in store to trade in, can I buy it the new iPhone and take The old one to a att store after a couple days or something
You will be able to order using the ATT site or the Apple site/app, your choice. During the checkout process you will be asked if you are replacing a current Next phone or it will know already because you logged in. Either way, you will select an option that says you are upgrading a current Next device. You will receive your new phone along with a label and maybe a box for return. Stores will not take your return device since ATT uses a third party for collection. The process is pretty straight forward but document everything well and be patient, it takes up to a month to see the confirmation that your returned device has been checked in.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
I'd make sure you keep track of your tracking number for the returned phone as well, just in case there are any questions later. Mine from last Sept. still shows up in my USPS app as being in Jacksonville and "picked up and processed by agent," which means that AT&T has it now (a returned Microcell showed the same thing earlier this year as well). Scared me for a few months, noting that the status never changed to "delivered" or whatever, but tendering to the agent is as good as it gets, apparently.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
I was wondering the same thing. I've had Next for a couple years now and in the past I've just fully paid off the phone and then sold it. The difference between the Pay to Upgrade vs Trade In is significant enough to me to where I'd prefer to Pay to Upgrade and not worry about the hassle of finding a buyer. I do not want to order the iP7 through AT&T though as they will only ship the phone to my billing / service address. No one will be home during the day on the 16th. From what I understand, if I order from Apple, they will ship it to whatever address I provide, which would be my work address. I called Apple and wasn't 100% confident the person I was speaking to knew what they were talking about.

Does anyone have any experience with Pay to Upgrade then ordering from Apple? Can you also confirm the ability to select any shipping address?

Thanks!
Chris

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
I was wondering the same thing. I've had Next for a couple years now and in the past I've just fully paid off the phone and then sold it. The difference between the Pay to Upgrade vs Trade In is significant enough to me to where I'd prefer to Pay to Upgrade and not worry about the hassle of finding a buyer. I do not want to order the iP7 through AT&T though as they will only ship the phone to my billing / service address. No one will be home during the day on the 16th. From what I understand, if I order from Apple, they will ship it to whatever address I provide, which would be my work address. I called Apple and wasn't 100% confident the person I was speaking to knew what they were talking about.

Does anyone have any experience with Pay to Upgrade then ordering from Apple? Can you also confirm the ability to select any shipping address?

Thanks!
Chris
I always (well, for the couple of launches for which I've had Next) have done the pay to upgrade option through the Apple Store app. I believe, though I could be mistaken, that they'll ship to the address associated with your Apple account. I don't remember there being an option to ship somewhere else, but I only have the one address as far as Apple is concerned.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I have only ever sent the phones to my house so not sure about shipping elsewhere. I make sure right before time to order that I have made enough Next payments to qualify for the next phone to release.

On sending the phone back, I photo the box that I packed and the shipping label and keep that long term just in case. Seems like I was sent a message last year that I needed to return my phone but in the end it did all work out.

RonPlus6

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2015
NC
I have only ever sent the phones to my house so not sure about shipping elsewhere. I make sure right before time to order that I have made enough Next payments to qualify for the next phone to release.

On sending the phone back, I photo the box that I packed and the shipping label and keep that long term just in case. Seems like I was sent a message last year that I needed to return my phone but in the end it did all work out.
[doublepost=1473343320][/doublepost]

After you phone shows as shipped, you can go to the shippers website and have them hold it at the facility and pick it up from there.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
[doublepost=1473343320][/doublepost]

After you phone shows as shipped, you can go to the shippers website and have them hold it at the facility and pick it up from there.

I guess that is an option.

I did log into my Apple account and made sure my billing address was correct and updated my shipping address to my work address. As of right now I think I'll try the Apple route and see if they'll ship to my work address and if they don't then the next option will be to get UPS or FedEx to hold it.

kingalien

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2010
Earth
Can confirm if ordering through Apple app it will ship to address you have on record. Best to check it now to make sure it is correct and if it's not your residence address make sure your credit card company has that address on file otherwise you may have delays in order processing.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
Can confirm if ordering through Apple app it will ship to address you have on record. Best to check it now to make sure it is correct and if it's not your residence address make sure your credit card company has that address on file otherwise you may have delays in order processing.

I just got done walking through ordering a 6S and it wanted to only ship to my AT&T billing address so I went and updated my billing address with AT&T to be my work address. Hopefully that will work.

kingalien

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2010
Earth
I just got done walking through ordering a 6S and it wanted to only ship to my AT&T billing address so I went and updated my billing address with AT&T to be my work address. Hopefully that will work.

Yeah AT&T is a different animal. I used to order through them and for security purposes they will only ship to the AT&T billing address.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
I walked through the order process again and it pulled up my old billing address (home address) and not the updated billing address. I went back to AT&Ts site and it does show my work address as the billing address. I'm assuming it takes time to propagate through the systems. Hopefully by the time 12:01 AM PDT hits Apple will have the updated info. I'm definitely going to remember this for next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.