ATT Next upgrade ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jmarziano, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Jmarziano macrumors member

I have a 6+ that I purchased on launch day last year on the ATT Next plan and I want to upgrade to the 6s+ next week. I talked to a rep in store the other day and he says I owe 240.00 still in payments on the phone and I can pay that and I would be able to upgrade but I have to turn in my phone.

My question is if I sell my phone (on eBay, icracked, etc.) and use the money I get from selling it there, am I able to buy my 6+ outright and not have to turn it in and still be able to upgrade?

Also, I am on the ATT Next 18 month plan.

Thanks in advanced for any insight.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If you pay off the balanced owed then the iPhones is yours. Go to ATT.com click on your account info and look under Account Details and your iPhone number. Whatever it says you remaining balance is what you owe to pay off the iPhone.

[​IMG]

3. Jmarziano thread starter macrumors member

Okay cool. I'll do that. Is the remaining Next payments and the balance remaining the same thing?

4. mb2008 macrumors regular

No, the $240 is what it takes to upgrade with phone trade-in (you have to make 18 months of payments). The payoff will be more.

5. Jmarziano thread starter macrumors member

Oh alright. Damn, I don't know if it's worth paying the 240 up front to upgrade and trade in my old phone.

6. defboob macrumors member

I don't think you are understanding it correctly. Assuming you got your 6 last year at launch, you have made your 12 payments and are now eligible to trade it in for a new iPhone. The remaining $240 is only if you want to actually own the current phone you have by paying it off.

If you go to get the 6s, you either hand in/mail back your current 6 and begin a new set of 12 payments, or you pay that $240 and keep both the de-activated 6 and your new 6s. You could sell the old 6 then yourself if you have no use for it.

7. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

Yeah, no. He's on a Next 18 contract, which means 18 payments to be eligible for trade in, and 24 to pay the whole thing off.

8. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

Not blasting the OP, but it seriously baffles me that someone would enter into a financing agreement about which they know very little.

9. defboob macrumors member

Whoops! My mistake, overlooked the 18 payment plan. Sorry :(

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Sadly, this is more common than not. The number of questions here is totally baffling, or scary. These are the people that will be electing our next President (no matter which one). The more amazing thing is those that think they can just get the new phone AND keep the one they have only half paid for. Then of course, there is another group that think they have to TOTALLY pay it off, and still turn it in.

I can not figure out what part of "somebody has to pay for the FULL cost of the phone". And it will not be Apple or the phone company.