ATT: No WiFi Calling until 2015

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by uchosen, Sep 12, 2014.

1. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Thank god the microcell works for a few minutes then people can't hear me.
    Surprised they actually announced.

2. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

had a feeling it would be delayed when watching the keynote, but didn't know they'd drag their feet about it again... jeese....

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The quote I read from AT&T bragging about the network, man I wanted to drag the guy to my house and smack into him the fact that YOUR NETWORK HAS HOLES, DUDE. Maybe if they spent less money convincing everybody that their 3G network zones are actually 4G and more closing these holes and activating services that help do so like this, people wouldn't curse them so much.

Thank goodness for T-Mobile. I'm not using it because of network quality, but those guys have AT&T and Verizon running scared with this Uncarrier movement. If T-Mobile could ever build a more robust network, it could really compete.

4. uchosen thread starter macrumors 6502

5. maybeiloveyou macrumors member

6. uchosen thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, imagine an add-on fee for this :(

7. maybeiloveyou macrumors member

That is totally where I think AT&T is going to go with this. They have given me no reason to believe that they aren't trying to f their customers over every chance they get.

8. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Of course they are... I remember when Upgrade fees used to be $18 - what a deal that seems like now! I think last year it was $30... and this year $40?! Ugh...

This year, I'm switching over to T-Mobile. I don't care if this means I won't get the phone on day 1, or month 1... but I'm tired of calling them every year to try and get that Upgrade fee waived. If they value my time, they would just put an end to it; but they don't. Even with multiple lines, we're just a blip on their balance sheet.

I miss Cingular...

9. uchosen thread starter macrumors 6502

From what I understand, WiFi calling seamlessly switches to cellular once you are out of WiFi range (and vice versa), correct? I think Republic Wireless does this.

10. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Yes, pretty much.

I wonder if wifi calling will work if you're out of the country.

11. uchosen thread starter macrumors 6502

That, honestly, is cool as hell. Hopefully they don't F it up once they do implement it.

12. CEmajr macrumors 601

The way some of the users here tell it AT&T doesn't need to offer Wi-Fi calling.

13. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Maybe I live in a weird area...but there are many buildings where cell phone signals cannot penetrate the inner most areas of the building (interior rooms, basement, etc). Wifi calling and text is a big plus.

Hell...I have tmobile because they have great coverage (now, finally) where I live. They are actually the only provider with a signal that can penetrate my basement.

That being said...wifi calling is a big plus. Maybe not for a road warrior...but for other instances. Cell phone have largely replaced land lines...and as such people are often in buildings where cell signal is lacking. Wifi calling and texting bridges this gap.

14. blah35 macrumors regular

15. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know....will we be able to receive calls over wifi?

Reception is fairly poor to non-existent across much of my office, but we do have Wifi.

I know Wifi calling will transfer an incoming call from cellular to Wifi, but will incoming calls make it through to the phone if there is no cellular reception at all?

16. Prise macrumors regular

Right, the fear of it cannibalizing the revenue stream from overage charges is the only reason not to offer it.

17. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Hopefully Verizon jumps on board too. I don't necessarily need it as I can make calls and send texts everywhere I go, but it'd be nice to have that extra good connection.

18. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Nah. That was a quote from the CEO.

Granted, I personally don't think I'll use wifi calling much (if at all). Places where I have guaranteed wifi already have good AT&T coverage and the few places where I've been to that didn't have coverage, there was no free wifi anyway. Besides, part of the reason I chose AT&T in the first place is because of good coverage in the areas where I am 98% of the time. :rolleyes:

AT&T service is expensive. If you don't get good coverage with them that you require wifi to make calls, I don't see why you'd willingly pay for their service instead of switching to a different carrier.

----------

Why? Most of their voice plans already offer unlimited talk so wifi calling is pretty much a freebie for them since it doesn't use their cellular network.

19. uchosen thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat. As much as AT&T is hated, their coverage is spotless in my area, so I can't really complain about anything.

20. Prise macrumors regular

There are still many who don't have unlimited calling or text plans. For instance, on my former grandfathered subsidized plan, I had limited minutes and refused to pay $20 just for texting privileges.

Until all of their customers have unlimited calling & text, there will always be a consistent stream of revenue for text and calling overage charges. Every month, I had to pay for at least 5 or 6 random texts.

With wi-fi calling, what would be the point of touting rollover minutes?

21. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I'm surprised AT&T hasn't followed Verizon in offering unlimited minutes on most plans. The real money is in data these days. My Verizon plan is unlimited talk and text, and 6GB of shared data. The unlimited minutes make WiFi calling superfluous except for international travel.

22. rritterson macrumors 6502

Based on the iOS 8 beta, I believe it can work internationally, though you have to activate it domestically while connected to T-Mobile's network on a one-time basis before it will show up while abroad.

T-Mobile seems to be trying to help people who go abroad avoid fees, AT&T not so much. It would not surprise me at all if AT&T blocks the feature internationally.

23. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Is texting also covered with wifi calling? On the old Family Talk 700, we never had any calling overages. In fact, before we switched to Mobile Share, I believe we had 4,000-5,000 rollover minutes remaining. Besides, they're not touting rollover minutes anymore as they want folks on the old plans to switch to the more expensive Mobile Share plans.

They already have. All of there new Mobile Share plans have unlimited talk and text with a shared data bucket. They still have plenty of subscribers grandfathered into old style plans, though.

24. Prise macrumors regular

Right, there are current revenue streams to protect. Offering unrestricted WiFi, not to mention seamless VoLTE handoff potential, will completely cannibalize these high profit margin areas, e.g., per text charges, minute overages, international roaming and plans.

Since T-Mobile doesn't have these revenue streams to protect--no revenue to give up--they're in a position forge ahead full spread into widespread Wi-Fi VoLTE implementation.

Will it work? Who knows, but Apple is betting on this future with iPhone 6's built-in WiFi VoLTE capabilities.

----------

This is you, and not me, or anyone else who may have unwittingly paid severe overage charges.

I'm assuming that if the industry ever progresses to widespread wifi volte adoption, texting will be included rather than a separate charge, let alone a per text one.