Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richxps

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
does anyone use this ? if so what is it and how does it work, i read up on it and i still don't understand how is it different than iMessage ? does this work on iPhone ?
Thanks

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
does anyone use this ? if so what is it and how does it work, i read up on it and i still don't understand how is it different than iMessage ? does this work on iPhone ?
Thanks
AT&T NumberSync is for WiFi calling. Any device that is hooked up to your iCloud account can be enabled to receive phone calls. Previously with continuity, your phone needed to be nearby and it used cellular signal of the iPhone and it established a BT connection to make/receive the call. Now your phone doesn't need to be near by and its using WiFi.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Here's an example...you go to work with your iPhone, leaving your iPad at home. When someone calls your number, both devices ring.

Here's another use case...you drop your landline phone service but you miss having extension phones around the house. You could have a few inexpensive iPod Touches around the house and they would all ring when you get a phone call--even if the iPhone is out of the house.

BentTable123

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2015
Right now there's not much difference between numbersync and Apple's continuity, which lets you make phone calls and text messages with your mac computer. Officially continuity is only supposed to work when your iphone and mac are on the same wifi network but it actually works when your phone has wifi disabled. So there's not much difference. But At&t wants this to work on wearables over cellular networks. So say you go for a run and your fitness watch has LTE, you should be able to call and text people with the same phone number as your phone rather than having 2 separate numbers. But right now there aren't many wearables that have cellular connections yet, so there's not much you can do with numbersync yet.

Thanks

richxps

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
so do you think its worth setting it up ? i have iPad,mac and iPhone and the apple watch, would it be annoying having this set up ? sounds like it would be good though and its free

BentTable123

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2015
Personally I wouldn't as I wouldn't want phone calls and texts to go to 4 devices. And also it only works on new iphones and macs, so you may not have compatible devices. I have continuity on my mac but I only use it for text messages and I disable the phone calls.

so do you think its worth setting it up ? i have iPad,mac and iPhone and the apple watch, would it be annoying having this set up ? sounds like it would be good though and its free

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I have it set up on all of my devices. iMac, MBA, iPad and of course my iPhone. I never have to worry about missing a phone call or message. I always have one of those devices around me

BentTable123

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2015
I wonder if this works when you travel internationally. You have your iphone off since you won't get service, but will your mac and ipad receive phone calls over wifi?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I wonder if this works when you travel internationally. You have your iphone off since you won't get service, but will your mac and ipad receive phone calls over wifi?
Yes. It works. When my phone is off or on Airplane mode, I still get my calls and messages on my iPad, iMac and MBA. As long as they are connected to WiFi and NumberSync is enabled.

BentTable123

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2015
Do you have to pay roaming rates for this? On an at&t iphone, you can only make wifi calls in the US and its territories. In other countries you pay roaming rates. But it seems like numbersync would allow you to make free wifi calls as long as it's not from your iphone, rather from your mac or ipad over wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.