Carrier ATT off contract eligible iphone 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrisfromalbany, Sep 7, 2016.

1. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

So I am off contract with iphone 6 plus which ATT subsidized and want iphone 7 plus. But now I need to deal with AT&T NEXT plan rather then subsidized upgrade phone. I am at a lose as where my subsidy money goes now that I don't get it any more. In my mind the cost of service just went up, considering all previous years I be under contract and they in turn paid part of new iphone.

There is no subsidy with NEXT plan? My phone bill will not go down in any way if buy new phone. My understanding of the NEXT plan give your a 24 month interest free loan (that is it). If I choose use it there will be a $36 a month addition charge for 24 months of iphone 7 plus base model. On top of new activation fee as well.

If I decide not to upgrade my bill will stay the same even though ATT wont be subsiding a phone for me, they just keep the money they use give Apple.

Being that last phone was subsidized (phone 6) forgive my ignorance.

2. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

same boat. contract expires on 09-12. if I can't sign another contract we're stuck with paying full price since we don't want to change our plans?

3. chrisfromalbany thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm on grandfather unlimited plan so prefer not change plan but my eyes, my current plan was including a subsidy for phone and now not. So bill once off contract will be going up $25 a month.

4. same0717 macrumors member

I'm also in the exact same boat. iPhone 6, grandfathered At&t unlimited plan and contract that expires on 09-12.

5. chrisfromalbany thread starter macrumors 6502

wondering once off contract will bill go down in anyway.. Heard maybe $10 a month per line. Which is still less then subsidy there were giving to Apple for the new phone but better then nothing. Otherwise I need shop for other carriers.

6. same0717 macrumors member

It's always possible but I don't see what could change in my plan to drop the rate once it comes off contract. It's not like we have a monthly device charge or anything like the new plans do. Our plans are unlimited Data $35 + Voice $x + Messaging $x + taxes & fees.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

My contract ended Sept. 2nd. and ATT only offers me the next upgrade also.

This is probably the only plan they have now.

8. rwkleinjr macrumors regular

That's what they told me.

Question - can you buy a phone on AT&T Next via Apple's site? Or does it need to be done directly through AT&T?

9. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

I looked at the Apple site and went through the process of choosing a new iPhone 7 and they listed the carriers. AT&T's Next program was listed and offered, so you can do it through the Apple Store.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

How could you go through the process of choosing a new iPhone 7 when pre-order hasn't started yet ?

Edit : nvm..I saw it now DO'H

11. junebug1 macrumors regular

junebug1

You do get a discount monthly on each line when you use Next.
    Example: Currently I have 5 lines on my AT&T Mobile Share account. 4 of them are on Next and 1 is on a 2 year contract (Expires 9-12-16). Each of the Next lines pays $15/mo for "mobile access charge" while the 2 year lines pays $40/mo for "mobile access charge".

12. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Once your out of a two year contract, your bill goes down.

13. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

where do you see that listed? I've been with ATT since iPhone 1 and the bill has never gone down after the contract expires. the folks from this thread use grandfathered plans with unlimited data.

14. td1439 macrumors 6502

td1439

AT&T has completely ditched contracts at this point, and it's likely the other major carriers will do the same soon. Right now, there's no way to get a subsidized phone if you are an AT&T customer, as the other major carriers - I believe - only offer contracts to current customers. I thought I had found a great sale on the 64gb 6S through Best Buy if we switched to Verizon ($99 for each phone!), but it turns out that was only for existing customers; new customers have to use the Edge plan.

I am going to see if any special deals are offered starting tomorrow, but from what I can tell, the best bet is to go through Apple directly and do a phone trade-in if possible. The Apple site is still saying that our 5S's are worth $125 each on a trade-in, so I'm thinking we might sign up for AT&T Next through Apple and just buy the phones outright using the trade-in credit to decrease the price.

15. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

I just did the math if I wanted to get a new 128 GB iPhone 7 Plus ($869):

- keep current unlimited data, grandfathered, plan ($90) and pay ATT Next an extra $36 a month for the phone: $126 / month
    - switch to new plan and sign up for 10 GB of data, I average between 8-9 GB a month ($100) and an extra $36 a month for the phone: $136 / month

either way my cost is going up. for my current iPhone 6 I paid $400 upfront, and if divided by the 24 months that I've had it, I technically paid an extra $17 a month. so my previous monthly charge was really $107. if I want the new iPhone 7 Plus it will cost me an extra $19 a month.