Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
I sent in a request to have my iPhone 6+ unlocked just to see, and they sent me an email saying it is okay to be unlocked and will let me know in 48 hours.

Do I have to restore via iTunes and plugging it in? Trying to skip the restore process since it takes a long time with all the stuff I have. I have a blank Verizon nano-SIM to test.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
I sent in a request to have my iPhone 6+ unlocked just to see, and they sent me an email saying it is okay to be unlocked and will let me know in 48 hours.

Do I have to restore via iTunes and plugging it in? Trying to skip the restore process since it takes a long time with all the stuff I have. I have a blank Verizon nano-SIM to test.

Yes.

You have to do a "restore phone", not a restore from backup (that was my mistake the first time).

So...
Back up phone.
Do a restore.
It it is successful it will say something like "Congratulations it is unlocked".

Then to get your stuff back, then do a restore from backup. Really doesn't take that long at all.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
Don't bother with a restore, its not necessary. After AT&T approved my 6+ unlocked, I immediately popped a T-Mobile SIM in to test and i got signal right away. Save yourself the time and trouble of restoring.

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Any non-AT&T sim card will put the phone back into activation mode, and if the phone is truly unlocked, it will get the unlock signal at that activation (or an error, if not). Don't waste your time with a restore.

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Don't bother with a restore, its not necessary. After AT&T approved my 6+ unlocked, I immediately popped a T-Mobile SIM in to test and i got signal right away. Save yourself the time and trouble of restoring.

Even better!

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach

that is awesome and you have not paid for iPhone in full?!?

iWozinator

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2014
Yes.

You have to do a "restore phone", not a restore from backup (that was my mistake the first time).

So...
Back up phone.
Do a restore.
It it is successful it will say something like "Congratulations it is unlocked".

Then to get your stuff back, then do a restore from backup. Really doesn't take that long at all.

Completely false

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Exactly.
For a long time now since ios 7 the restore wasn't necessary.
Just a waste of time to download, install, resync all your stuff back etc..
Just connect to wifi and pop in another carrier sim and it will activate and work fine.

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
that is awesome and you have not paid for iPhone in full?!?

The phone was on a two year contract on someone's account. On my account I am eligible for an upgrade. So I didn't use my upgrade.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
How does that work? I don't understand...
Basically, if someone who is out of contract requests an unlock for an in-contract phone that was purchased using someone else's account, the request is sometimes approved.

I think AT&T first checks to see if the person requesting the unlock is still in-contract. If that person is still in-contract, the unlock request is automatically denied, and you'll get a denial email within minutes. If the person requesting the unlock is no longer under contract, you won't get an email for 24-48 hours, because the next step is to check if the device itself is under contract. I guess sometimes that second step isn't very accurate, so the request might be approved.

I was able to do this in the past with an iPhone 5, but I tried again with an iPhone 6, and it was denied.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Basically, if someone who is out of contract requests an unlock for an in-contract phone that was purchased using someone else's account, the request is sometimes approved.

I think AT&T first checks to see if the person requesting the unlock is still in-contract. If that person is still in-contract, the unlock request is automatically denied, and you'll get a denial email within minutes. If the person requesting the unlock is no longer under contract, you won't get an email for 24-48 hours, because the next step is to check if the device itself is under contract. I guess sometimes that second step isn't very accurate, so the request might be approved.

I was able to do this in the past with an iPhone 5, but I tried again with an iPhone 6, and it was denied.

In other words the OP got lucky.
If the phone is bought under a 2 year contract on another line and used now on a different line it still does not qualify for an unlock.
Most likely the OP got a rep that bend the rules and didn't bother checking further and processed his unlock request.
I tried it too with my 6 Plus but they didn't want to hear it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.