ATT one time activation fee

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CeeP, Jul 20, 2009.

1. CeeP macrumors member

Hey guys,
    I preordered my iphone through apple and got it on the launch day. I was under the impression when I bought the phone, I also paid for the activation fee and I believe the upgrade fee as well? I looked at my bill from when I bought the phone and my grand total was $251.42: 199.99 for the phone and the rest taxes.
    Now unless there was a ~25% tax charge on the phone, it appears that I paid for something else as well. On my bill this month, I was charged for the activation fee, but did I pay for it when I bought my phone?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Look at your sales receipt. If you paid you would know.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

When I paid for my iPhone at the Apple Store, I was not charged an activation fee. Haven't checked my AT&T bill yet though... :confused:

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

What did AT&T tell you when you called them about this?

5. CeeP thread starter macrumors member

Said to call apple. Rep didn't seem to be very knowledgeable. Did anyone else preorder through apple? Surely there wasn't 52 dollars of taxes on a 200 dollar purchase. I remember the 18 activation fee being brought up in the process but now I'm not sure what fees I paid on top of the price of the phone.

thanks

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

What state do you live in? Some states require you to pay sales tax on the unsubsidized price.

7. CeeP thread starter macrumors member

CA. Maybe you're right. Just wish someone else who preordered would chime in because I remember the fee being mentioned and thought I paid for it, but it apprears not.

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

California requires you to pay sales tax on the full amount ($599) of the phone, so that will account for some of the extra. So if your sales tax is about 9% then that could be about $50.

9. arykmax macrumors regular

Bingo. CA sales tax is the culprit.

10. CeeP thread starter macrumors member

sounds about right. thanks.

11. musicman0725 macrumors member

The price you paid doesn't include an activation fee. That will be a part of your first monthly bill (as you've discovered). When i purchased an iphone 3gs for my wife and I (at an apple store), I was told by the sales rep that the $18 upgrade fee would be waived on the first line but that if I called in I could probably get the fee waived for the second line.

After I looked at my charges I noticed I was charged an $18 upgrade fee for both lines, so I called in and told the rep that the sales rep had suggested I call in for the $18 upgrade fee to be waived. Without asking me any questions, the rep said so basically a $40 credit which she then applied to my account.

I would definitely suggest calling AT&T and letting them know you want the fee to be waived. I don't think they'll give you a hard time at all (in fact my cousin who works for radioshack said that AT&T allows them to waive the activation fees and upgrade fees all the time for their customers).