Att or Verizon for Ipad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aaronw1986, Mar 14, 2011.

1. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I need to place my order by tonight to use the squaretrade coupon. I am still torn between Att or Verizon for 3G service. My main concern is coverage over speed, which makes me lean towards Verizon. However, I would like to hear what people have to say, especially those with 3G experience.

2. Cathode macrumors regular

Cathode

Verizon has AT&T beat by a longshot when it comes to coverage. However, if you don't intend on traveling (road trips, etc) and will stick to city limits, the AT&T version could still be an option.

Here in Phoenix I have great coverage all around. Then again, I own the first generation iPad so I don't really have a choice! :D

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

My view is a little different. If you plan on traveling anywhere outside the US, the AT&T model is the best bet.

4. Cathode macrumors regular

Cathode

Sorry, I had assumed he meant traveling throughout the continental United States.

5. Rigby macrumors 601

I'm not so sure that the coverage is so different. Don't forget that with AT&T there is still the option to fall back to EDGE if 3G is not available. Of course it is slower, but Verizon's network is also slow in many remote places. I have yet to find a spot in my area (NorCal) where neither AT&T 3G nor EDGE is available.

In any case, for me personally the choice was clear, since I often travel to Europe, where a CDMA 2000 device is completely useless.

6. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

To clarify, I won't be doing much if any international travelling. I will mostly be in OR,CA, or WA. Possibly traveling to some other states.

I assume the iPad cannot connect to Partner Edge att areas?

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I bought a Verizon iPad because I have an at&t iPhone.

I figure that odds are good that if I'm stuck somewhere were one doesn't work, the other one will. Why put all my eggs in the same basket?

I dunno if that applies to you, but it made sense for me.

8. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Have you used the 3G on it yet? I guess I am leaning towards Verizon, just not impressed with how they have thus far handled the launch. Things like not being clear about any re-activation fees like on the Xoom. Another thing I read is that you can't cancel the current month and keep your data usage through the end of the month (it goes away immediately).