ATT or Verizon? (NYC area)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bjjp2, Mar 10, 2011.

1. bjjp2, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

bjjp2 macrumors regular

Love my iPad. Only gripe is with the ATT 3G performance in certain areas. If I get an iPad 2, any reason to think Verizon will be better or worse?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

In general (all things equal like tower location and signal strength) GSM is better for data and CDMA is better for calls. Most iPhone 4 test have also concluded this.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Get the one that has better coverage in your area. If you're getting poor GSM coverage but superior CDMA coverage go with vzw

4. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Verizon will typically have better and more consistent coverage. AT&T Data will generally be faster IF you can get it.

I've had both the AT&T iPhone 4 and a Verizon iPhone 4, the Verizon phone works better for me. :D

5. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

6. bjjp2 thread starter macrumors regular

Occasionally, but not much.

7. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Personally, I'm getting a 32GB w/ ATT 3G. Since I currently have a Verizon iPhone I can use MiWi if I would like or activate the 3G if traveling and/or care about draining my iPhone's battery. In my opinion it is the best of both worlds.

I found this helpful. Source: Apple Insider.

Data Plans:
    [​IMG]

Tether Plans:
    [​IMG]

8. bossxii macrumors 68000

My question is what sort of data speeds are people seeing with their VZW iPhones? I get great local AT&T coverage and speed here in KC, but the reason I am thinking of VZW is the 3 or 4 times I travel back to my parents house VZW has much better coverage. I can use the Wifi hotspot locally but thinking VZW would be better in the long run.

I haven't used VZW 3G in nearly 4 years... any speed results out there?

9. xraytech macrumors 68020

You sorta answered your own question. If you are unhappy with AT&T service on your iPad 1, chances are you will be unhappy with it on iPad 2.

I am not saying Verizon would be a better option. It is conceivable that Verizon and AT&T coverage in your area are both equally crappy. Check and double check coverage maps and ask other users in your area and go from there.

10. bjjp2 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm in NYC area if that helps. Commute up to Westchester by train and for most of the trip my 3G on iPad is surprisingly atrocious.

11. bjjp2 thread starter macrumors regular

Now that it's out, anybody in NY who can compare?