ATT Phone Rep says i'm not eligible..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrismac00, Jun 28, 2008.

1. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

Well today i was checking the time on my iPhone and a bucket of water was underneath and i thought that i put my iPhone back into my pocket but it fell into the bucket of water. It is almost dead and the sensor is red, so I can't get it fixed for free. I still have the iPhone plans in my bill and it is still activated, I can only text because it does not let me go to the home screen. I think I am eligible and even for the $199 price. And I called ATT and this lady put me on hold for about 15 minutes and first she said I was eligible and then she put me on hold for 5 minutes again and said I wasn't.

Can anyone help me?

2. aosman macrumors 6502

I thought previous iPhone owners are eligible for the iPhone 3G Contract pricing.

3. chrismac00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is that the price I pay directly at the store? The $199 or $299?

4. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

You should be eligible because current iPhone owners are suppose to be eligible.

5. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Those are the contract prices indeed.

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

It doesn't matter if you're iPhone is functional or not, it's not like you're trading it in. You're qualified for the $199/$299 pricing.

Don't stand above buckets of water IMO. :p ;)

7. chrismac00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha..but now..this story has changed. I left my iPhone drying outside and before I put it to dry I noticed the water sensor was RED and it turned white again. I'm gonna try to send it to Apple to get it fixed. :D

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good to hear. Good luck! :p

9. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Not a very effective water sensor, eh?

10. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Putting aside that all iPhone owners are eligible... which I find is bull... but consider this:

Did you have a subsidized phone prior to the iPhone? If so, upgrade eligibility is still based off your last subsidized phone despite buying an iPhone in between. So for an example, say you had 12 months left for eligibility after a phone that was bought near a year ago at a discount, then you bought the first iPhone. That 12 months would still be counting to the next equipment discount, it wasn't suppose to be reset after the iPhone. For the sake of argument, if that was 6 months ago, you'd still have 6 months left.

Maybe the ATT rep was going by that type of thinking and didn't know any better. At the moment, until launch, no one there seems to have the final answer. Some are going by how the first iphone rules work, some go by that early memo, it's just to washy right now. So take what ever they say with a grain of salt for now.

11. chrismac00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha. I guess so.

12. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

The problem is you can ask 10 different people one question and get 10 different answers. You might he better off waiting until July 11th to get the answer.