ATT Plans and Hand Me Down 2G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NomadicTy, Aug 18, 2008.

1. NomadicTy macrumors regular

Hi!

My friend is getting my 2G (unlocked, 2.0) iPhone, while I am getting a new 3G. He's already with ATT. He wants the 2G, but does not want the data plan. Can he just stick his SIM card into my 2G iphone? Or would he have to get it activated "officially"? If he does activate it, and is forced to pick the 2G data plan, can he go into his account in the ATT website and change it back to his previous plan?

Thanks!

2. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

It will work fine. Although if he signed up with ATT in the past few months they added some fine print to the contract that says they can add a data plan if they detect you are using an iPhone. I have not heard of them doing this, but that does not mean they wont in the future. Older contracts did not have this clause, so if if the contract is at least 4 months old then you have nothing to worry about.

3. ibanez67 macrumors newbie

NomadicTy, I'm curious how did the hand me down 2g iphone work out? I was thinking about doing the same thing for my little sister but she doesn't have a data plan also and I don't want her to get charged or anything on her bills to change