ATT proposal a little shady?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pavvento, Jul 23, 2008.

1. pavvento macrumors 6502

I am at a loss with this launch. I understand demand is higher than supply, and I understand that the lengthy activation process is necessary. What I find bizarre and shady is the way that customers with FAN discounts are being handled.

Apple stores (for whatever reason) can not process orders involving customers with discounts. In order to get a round this you can do one of two things, either order from ATT (out of stock) or have ATT take your discount off your account, and then put it back on after you buy the iPhone.

The shady part, in my mind, is that the discount can be immediately taken off, but can take 3-5 months to be put back on. How can a discount, that has already been approved, take so long to be put back onto an account? 5 months with a $30/month discount is $150. A few thousand people doing that adds up to a lot of money.

Does that seem shady to anyone else?

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

It's a bit shady, but at the same time, AT&T worked out those FAN discounts with corporations in order to generate business. In fact, the business that is offering you the discount would probably be a GREAT place to complain to, as they could perhaps threaten to sign a deal with another carrier.

I'm guessing that Apple can't process the FAN discounts in order to make the activation process for clerks not really trained in cell phone plans as idiot-proof as possible (though obviously not idiot proof enough). But yeah, not sure why it take so long to get back on...

4. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Not if you understand why Apple can't access people with FAN discounts...

This makes your account pop up as a "business" account even though it is handled as and paid for by an individual account holder. For proof of this, call 611 on a phone with a FAN discount and the recording says "business customer service." Its just a matter of how AT&T handles their stuff.

Also, if the discount is removed and reapplied on the same day, or within say 48 hours or so (which is more than possible since it can be re-added online) there should be no lapse in coverage. The actual application AND removal of the discount takes a little while to propagate through the system completely, despite the fact that it appears instant from a different angle.

6. pavvento thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I thought. I was told by the rep on the phone that although it would be added, it would take between 3-5 months for the discount to show up on the bill.

If this is not true, then I will gladly remove the discount and buy the phone. I can't, however justify waiting in line and paying an extra $150 right now.

It's probably too soon, but has anyone done this and received a bill?

7. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Oh ok. I can't tell you anything yet until my billing cycle ends on the 29. Hopefully it does show up!:eek: