ATT reception in San Diego - Explain this to me, please

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elgrecomac, Sep 28, 2008.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

A friend of mine and I were talking today and I tried to make a call with my 3G iphone...with no success. i started bitching about the ****ty ATT coverage in San Diego and he laughed. He said he had an ATT crackberry and his reception was quite acceptable but since he switch to an iphone, dropped calls are the norm as is frustration. (And before you ask, YES, we both are on the latest release of software). So, iphone users, WTF is going on with phone reception? Why is does the crackberry perform better than my vaunted iphone? I really like my iphone's capabilities but ATT...or Apple has dropped the ball when it comes to phone reception. :eek:

2. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Living in San Diego, I can tell when someone calls me on AT&T vs another carrier. I had Verizon in San Diego since they bought out Airtouch. The only times I dropped calls was when I was talking to a Cingular or now AT&T subscriber. Now, I've joined the party.

I'm not saying the iPhone is completely faultless - but I've never heard anything good about AT&T in San Diego. When visiting family in Houston, Tx I have excellent service with AT&T.

3. tha80sbrat macrumors regular

I don't know...I've had almost flawless service with AT&T...and you can say I've been with them since the beginning.

I was with Pac Bell early on...after a couple years I switched to AT&T. Pac Bell turned into Cingular and I went back to them at that point. Then Cingular was acquired by AT&T and here I am. I've been using this service since 2000 and I've had very little problems with the service.

It really isn't all that bad.

4. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I have spotty problems with AT&T in San Diego. I never had a dropped call on Verizon unless I was on the Silver Strand. That's the only place I haven't had a dropped call on AT&T. They are getting better though. I am wondering if it has to do with antenna placement?

5. teksurv macrumors member

I can definitely say that Sprint's coverage for me in San Diego was far superior to AT&T. I work on base here in Coronado, No Service to 1 bar fluctuates all the time.

At home in Carmel Mountain, North County, and along I 5 service is acceptable.

6. urbnsoul macrumors newbie

I work in downtown San Diego and with the latest firmware release I now get 5 bars as opposed to 3 before.

Back where I live I also get 5 bars as well, although there are times when I get a dropped call. It doesn't bother me much, but it still is an annoyance nonetheless.

7. camarobh macrumors 6502

No issues here

I also live in San Diego and haven't had any issues with dropped calls or poor AT&T coverage.

8. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

When I'm at work, I get great service. At home on the strand, I get spotty 3G but good Edge. I only seem to drop calls while on the bridge, after the update.

9. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

I've been getting good reception and call quality over here at UCSD.

10. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

national city/poway and all along 15 with no problem here

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Just got back to Sacramento from there. No problems around Hotel Circle, Miramar, and Mira Mesa.

BL.

12. bk888 macrumors newbie

My reception is just fine with no dropped calls (had phone since launch). I'm sure different parts of San Diego has varying coverage but so far I've been very happy. Verizon is still superior in my book but oh well!

I have several friends with new iPhones, all have been very happy with their phones. If you're experiencing a lot of dropped calls it might be due to the location you make most of your calls from or it might be a defect in the phone itself.

13. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

From Carlsbad down to Chula Vista (basically the 5), I haven't had any problems. What areas are you having bad reception in?

14. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Yay for using bars as a measurement!

Anyway, I also had Verizon since they were Airtouch here in SD. The coverage is far superior, no if, ands, or buts. I expect at&t to improve now that they can use the 850 spectrum for 3G, however they seem to be taking their time.

I was talking to someone last nite and they have at&t. They were driving from Temecula to Oceanside. 6 times the call dropped, we just gave up.