ATT Refurb iphone 14GB - why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i-sidd, Feb 1, 2011.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

We just got the iphone4 refurb from att for my wife and I noticed that it says capacity 14gb and available 13.XX. I though there was only 16 and 32gb. why is this showing 14gb?

Any ideas?

2. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

it is 16gb but the 2gb you cannot use has all the software installed on it and the physical space available is always less than what is advertised

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Do people really still need an explanation of how hard drive space is calculated?

4. jthomp macrumors regular

Yes...

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Well then:

HD capacity is almost always advertized using the standard 1 GB = 1 billion bytes, but is measured by your OS usign an older definition of 1 GB = 2^30 bytes or 1,048,576 Bytes. This means a 16GB HD or memory chip will hold on about 14.9 MB as measured by Windows. This is true for all storage devices, not just the iPhone.

Subtract from that 14.9 GB the system partition (containing iOS) of about 800 MB , and you've got 14.1 GB of usable storage space on your device.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Well, when a device and a hard drive love each other very, very much and want to mutually benefit each other, they come together to form what is known as "device capacity." Sometimes though, things get a little crazy, some shady OS wants in on the action (for a cost of course), there's some formatting going on in the back room with the green light, and everyone's settling in and having fun...Unfortunately, since no one else really has their own place, they all get wild in the hard drive, but gosh, wouldn't you know it, they don't want to come out after the party and they're all installed in there. Usually they take up about 10%, but if they served a lot of trans fats or that ranch dip, things can bloat up more than that. Conversly, if everything is trim, fit, and gets it on with maximum efficiency, it can be less. And that, boys and girls, is why there's less space on your hard drive that you may expect. If it makes you feel better, this has been the case with every hard drive you've ever purchased. Every. Single. One.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Unless you're using a Mac with Snow Leopard.

Oh, sorry...I probably shouldn't have brought that up... I just ruined everything again, didn't I? :p

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Well, I was talking more about the hot, hot, love of formatting, but you're right, SL does calculate more "correctly" that others. Seriously, we'll run into each other on U St sometime and become great friends.

9. jthomp macrumors regular

And just to clarify, I meant "YES" for others. I know what and why it happens... I used to have to explain this to people about 30 times a day when I worked retail. I still can't believe it's an issue that pops up...

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My parole officer doesn't let me talk about computers in public...

11. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry didn't do a search was in a really hurry and wanted to post the question.

Thanks for the explanation guys and sorry for inconveniencing with a stupid question.