Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noah82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
San Diego, CA
So I have had an iPhone since the beginning on a FAN account, and the day that I bought my 3G I called ATT to add the TMS4 text messaging plan, which gives me 1500 text messages for $8.99/month. This has been on my account since July of 2008.

Fast forward to this year. I buy the iPhone 3GS on launch day from the Apple store. I look on my ATT wireless online account and apparently I am being charged per text message. I don't have ANY text messaging plan on my account anymore.

I called ATT yesterday and asked them why I am being charged per text, since I was under the assumption that I had the TMS4 plan on my account. She told me that the TMS4 plan was not compatible with the 3GS, and if I wanted 1500 text messages it would now cost me $15/month. I told the agent that I did not authorize the removal of TMS4, and that she should put it back the way that it was. She told me that she tried to put it back, but the system would not let her do this since I have an iPhone 3GS. I asked her to give me a $6/month credit for the difference between the existing text plan and the TMS4 plan, but she refused.

So...I am sure that I am not the only one that was using the TMS4 plan, so if anybody has experienced this, what have you done about it? I am open to all ideas!!

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Call again to get a different rep.

Seriously.

Despite being an expired code I STILL have TMB9 (750/7.49) on my 3GS. Only took one rep though :D

noah82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
San Diego, CA
The reason why they let you still have your TMS plan is that it is still active in the system. If my plan would not have been removed, they would have let me keep on using it, but since it is not active anymore, they cannot add it back.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I just got an iPhone a couple weeks ago and I got them to add a supposedly dead feature code on the first try (CLL2=200 text).

kelpi

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
So I have had an iPhone since the beginning on a FAN account, and the day that I bought my 3G I called ATT to add the TMS4 text messaging plan, which gives me 1500 text messages for $8.99/month. This has been on my account since July of 2008.

Fast forward to this year. I buy the iPhone 3GS on launch day from the Apple store. I look on my ATT wireless online account and apparently I am being charged per text message. I don't have ANY text messaging plan on my account anymore.

I called ATT yesterday and asked them why I am being charged per text, since I was under the assumption that I had the TMS4 plan on my account. She told me that the TMS4 plan was not compatible with the 3GS, and if I wanted 1500 text messages it would now cost me $15/month. I told the agent that I did not authorize the removal of TMS4, and that she should put it back the way that it was. She told me that she tried to put it back, but the system would not let her do this since I have an iPhone 3GS. I asked her to give me a $6/month credit for the difference between the existing text plan and the TMS4 plan, but she refused.

So...I am sure that I am not the only one that was using the TMS4 plan, so if anybody has experienced this, what have you done about it? I am open to all ideas!!

If the next representative you speak with is unable to add the feature, tell them to submit a "Clarify - Unable to complete transaction" case and hopefully this will do it.

When you bought your 3gs you should have been informed the feature was not compatible.

xsecretfiles

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
I am not a sales rep, but I think the minute you get the 3Gs you are tied onto a iphone plan, which is $30 and no texts are included.

Whatever plan you had before gets overwritten.

I mean that always happens to me.........

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I was also able to have TMB9 added to my account. The rep had to a do a lot of searching as the name has been changed to "B2B SMS 750" or something like that. He did say it was a dead code but was still able to get it to stick. He then told me I owe him my life (no joke).

noah82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
San Diego, CA
Well the resolution of this story is that TMS4 is a no go but they were able to give me 750 messages for $7.49. So I am saving $1.50/month and getting half of the messages that I used to. I would make a much bigger deal about this if I ever went above 500 messages per month, but I have much bigger things to worry about my life.

Either way, this leaves an even more sour taste in my mouth about ATT. I switched from Verizon in 2008 to get the iPhone, and it really killed me that I had to leave a company that treated me so well because they turned down the iPhone years ago. I will be the first one in line the day that Verizon gets the iPhone though...ATT is an evil corporation.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Well the resolution of this story is that TMS4 is a no go but they were able to give me 750 messages for $7.49. So I am saving $1.50/month and getting half of the messages that I used to. I would make a much bigger deal about this if I ever went above 500 messages per month, but I have much bigger things to worry about my life.

Either way, this leaves an even more sour taste in my mouth about ATT. I switched from Verizon in 2008 to get the iPhone, and it really killed me that I had to leave a company that treated me so well because they turned down the iPhone years ago. I will be the first one in line the day that Verizon gets the iPhone though...ATT is an evil corporation.

So is Verizon. Take your pick.

noah82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
San Diego, CA
I am sure that any corporation is evil if you talk to the right people. I can only talk based on my experiences with both companies. I was with Verizon for 6 years and was a completely satisfied customer. Then I switched to ATT.

I live in San Diego, CA, and I dropped more calls in the first 2 weeks with ATT than with my entire 6 years with Verizon. If you talk with somebody in South Florida where ATT is better than Verizon, you will get a completely different story. It all depends on where you live and who you get to talk to on the phone helping you.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
When I lived in Orange County I dropped calls often like you, never really on Verizon. At 5 pm I could call anyone while I was on Verizon, but with AT&T I was also told the network was busy. :mad:

I agree, Verizon has better service but all corporations are evil to a certain degree. Just because you don't see something happening directly to you doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Frankly, my private data being left unsecured by Verizon may not appear to hurt me if I don't know they're doing it, but it could hurt me in the end. AT&T btw is no better.

applerocks

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
Sorry, I was searching for something else and saw this...don't mean to comment a month later. BUT, I think this shows that if any of us using these codes go to upgrade to a new iPhone, we have to do it at AT&T stores, because Apple's systems will knock out our existing codes... Good to know

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I think this means that you can get out of the contract with no early termination fee.

Nope it does not. Part of the thing with FAN that one agrees to is the FAN discounts can be change and removed at any point and time.

FAN is not part of his contract with ATT it is a little extra feature but not part of the contract and it does have the clause it can be removed at any point in time with out notice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.