ATT Rep says New iPhone available for sale TODAY

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by timfanelli, Jun 7, 2010.

1. timfanelli macrumors newbie

I was just on the phone with AT&T Business Customer Care making some changes to my iPhone plan. The representative misunderstood me something I said about the new iPhone DataPro and DataPlus plans, and said "Oh, I was told the new iPhones would not be available online until this afternoon!"

We had a brief discussions in which she confirmed that the new iPhone will be available for sale this afternoon. She also complained that AT&T has everyone working 5+ hours of overtime in anticipation of incoming phone orders.

Take it for what you will... just wanted to share what I heard!

2. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

Fortunately (unfortunately?) he wouldn't know anything about this. Sorry.

3. timfanelli thread starter macrumors newbie

Hence the take it for what you will... like I said, just sharing.

4. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

Doesn't this mean that they won't be up for pre-order until this afternoon? Which is what is already suspected?

5. timfanelli thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah - maybe, I didn't ask for clarification on that. I asked if they'd be available in-store, and she said she didn't know. So pre-order is a strong possibility and I got my hopes up for nothing.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

Right. Last year, the new iPhone was available online later that afternoon too. It just didn't ship until a week or two later. :D

7. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Even if this was the case, they wouldn't know. Apple store employees don't know, and neither do entry-level AT&T salesmen.

8. johnrs macrumors 6502a

we will know soon enough and either you will be right and you can come back and say "HA TOLD YA SO.. UNBELIEVERS " or hang your head in shame... :D

9. johnrs macrumors 6502a

There are only 2 people that know. Steve and God.. oh wait. are they not one and the same.... :confused:

10. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Not saying it won't happen, but if it does, it's not like they knew it was coming.

11. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

No ... and he obviously isn't the only one.

12. macnerd77 macrumors regular

macnerd77

That's what I have been saying for years. :D

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Geez. Give OP a break. The iPhone probably is going to be available to order this afternoon. The rep did not say it was going to be available to ship nor was that implied. At least that is not how I inferred it when I read the post. Hardly breaking news. Sherlock Holmes is not on the case.

14. hushmartin macrumors 6502

You know what? I actually would lean towards believing that the call center reps know that the iPhone will go on sale this afternoon. Why? Because the call center would have had to schedule around the launch or at the very least offer a ton of open extra hours to cover the number of calls they are going to get. Scheduling a call center of that size is no small feat, especially around a product launch of this size. The employees probably got the announcement this morning, or at the latest perhaps around lunch time. Either way, they are most likely smart enough to put 2 and 2 together-- the scheduling alone would have tipped them off.

How do I know this? I've worked in several call centers of varying size, and worked product launches big and small.

15. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

This is funny to me cuz I don't think AT&T would know anything about this!

16. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Thanks for sharing :) Loving how excited everyone gets during the lead up to the keynote. It's like Christmas for us tech heads :) Whatever happens, you've just suggested a shorter wait between xmas eve and xmas day and that makes me giddy. Here's hoping!

17. fmjordan23 macrumors member

fmjordan23

OP merely attempted to share a little information. No it was not singed in blood nor stamped with a notary seal. If you wish to do your own research then feel free to do so....after all I seem to recall the word "rumors" in this website somewhere????:confused:

18. fmjordan23 macrumors member

fmjordan23

Why wouldn't AT&T not know anything about this?? I would imagine they sell as many, if not more than, anyone else.

19. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

This is a good point not to be dismissed. Scheduling a workforce is no small feat. While they may not know anything about the product or if it will be shipped this afternoon, they know they have to stay there for alot longer than usual. Is it going to be the actual launch or just pre-orders, they won't know till Steve says the word, either way, they arn't going home at the normal time tonight.