ATT reports different data usage than iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dominikos, Feb 27, 2017.

1. dominikos macrumors newbie

will try to make this story short. I would like to know if anybody run/seen/heard of similar issue.

Last Monday, I got a text message from ATT that I used 100% of my data plan and will not have to pay for additional usage but my speed gets downgraded. It didn't make sense to me since:
    • my average usage is 5GB/month and I'm on a 6GB plan
    • my monthly cycle started previous Friday and I was at home most of the weekend with phone hooked to Wifi
    Since I never paid attention to data usage before, I did the following:
    • increased my monthly plan to 10GB
    • reset my cellular data usage
    • started to monitor data usage using ATT app
    Everything looked good till Friday, used approximately 600MB of data. To my surprise, I got a text message from ATT that I used the remaining data on my monthly plan and my speed will get downgraded. ATT app reported 10GB of data used - 4GB in a week, ios reported 768MB of cellular data used since last Monday. Same story, stayed most of the weekend at home.

I called ATT and they told me that their report is for sure accurate and that either iOS does not report all data usage or my device is malfunctioning. They told me to take it to apple store for diagnostics. I asked what would be my option if apple determines that device is operating as expected. The answer was, you need to get on a higher plan.

So, called apple, run remote diagnostics and my iphone 6 is perfectly fine (only needs to be backed up).

I'm going to call ATT and try to escalate to a manager but not having high hopes. Any pointers, constructive suggestions are appreciated,

Thanks,

- Dominik

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not much you can do if the carrier data has been used.
    Maybe you reset it on the wrong day.
    But as far as I know the ios data counter has been very accurate for years for me and other members of my family with iphones.
    If you had to bump your plan from 5GB to 10GB and still not enough you should look into their new unlimited data plans.
    Those will bring you up to 22GB per month unthrottled I believe.

3. dominikos thread starter macrumors newbie

The discrepancy is too high. Even if I reset it on a wrong day (day later), I would have to use 2x more data during that day that I used through the month.
    Unless, there is a lag in their reporting and they pile up data on you from before the plan was reset.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's what it is.
    There's always a lag by the time their system collect all your data use throughout the day via various cell towers and then they tally it all up and report it on their site later sometimes at the end of the night.
    That info is not real time or instant and takes a long time but it all hits you at once.