ATT Reps giving me different answers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by azure247, Oct 14, 2011.

1. azure247 macrumors 6502

I have a line (not mine) that is eligible for a full upgrade with a 2 year contract renewal. I would like to transfer the iphone 4s over to my line. So I talked to customer rep. and she told me once I receive the iphone 4s, I should call ATT and ask them to activate it on a different line. They will need the SSN on the microSIM and all will be good and done afterwards.

I wanted to be positive so I talked to another customer rep. and this woman told me another story. She told me the iphone 4s would come with a microSIM that is attached to the line it was upgraded from. She told me I would need to activate it on the upgrade line and then get a new microSIM card to put it on the line I want.

I did some googling and people have said on Sprint that when you order online its different than from the store. All you have to do is activate it on the line you want.

As you can see I am totally confused. Lol

2. mlpsponzischeme macrumors regular

A rep told me I had to go into the store to put my number on the 4s I ordered under my wife's number. They said the sim cards are number specific and I'll need sim cards attached to each of our numbers..blah blah blah. Not looking forward to going into a store tomorrow. Sucks.

3. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Don't listen to reps....EVER. this is nothing new.

4. gb21 macrumors newbie

this is so true. Reps made several promises when selling the 3gs to me, and later on other reps refuse to honor or came up with different stories each time I call.. AT&T is simply horrible

5. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

its not just AT&T. I don't know why they dont just say "I Dont know" they have to make stuff up to confuse things more. So I don't ask reps anything. I do all my homework before buying anything and if I have a problem I find the answer online.

6. azure247 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is the rep. still lying even if it says:
    in the macrumors guide?

Super confused!

7. iManny macrumors newbie

All you have to do is get the phone and a clean sim card and they can transfer it for you.

8. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

Here's what you need to do:

1. Order/buy the iPhone 4S through AT&T (not Apple) on the eligible line and add data plan. Don't do anything else (account-wise) with this phone, or SIM.
    2. Do not turn the iPhone 4S on until you put the SIM card with your line in. It must be a microSIM card, so get one from AT&T or convert one yourself.
    3. Turn on and activate the iPhone 4S.
    4. If the eligible line was a non-smartphone cancel the data plan on it, can be done online or by calling 611.
    5. Verify your account on AT&T's Online Account Management. Make sure each phone type is the right line. Make sure you have the correct corresponding data plan(s).

If done correctly, the lines should be on the correct phones, no lines should be deactivated, you don't need any new SIM cards (unless you're converting to a microSIM) and you shouldn't need copious amounts of help from AT&T. In my opinion, it is best to deal with AT&T as little as possible.

There's several other threads regarding people who are upgrade swapping, many are having trouble. Please check them out so you can be more familiar with the process and see what the issues are. It seems to be a combination of: AT&T activation backlog and not buying directly from AT&T.

9. azure247 thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont have a microsim card. I suppose I could go to an ATT store and ask if they have iphone 4s in stock and have it done there. I was going to order and wait for one to become available online since I can probably get the color/gb I want.

10. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

One other option is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SIM-Cutter-Converter-adapters/dp/B003UEWF8I

11. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

Since you're going into a store, they will be able to help you with upgrade swapping.

But if you are on any grandfathered plans (data or text messaging), make sure that they don't touch them.

12. sportykid2332 macrumors regular

I was told that the only way that the new iPhone could be activated was on the number it was bought under. That was the only way they were able to get mine activated...after 9 hours. Btw it killed my brother's line immediately..he was not happy