Carrier ATT requires a Pin?

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
socal
So I called AT&T to ask a question about my installment and they wanted me to set up a pin. They sent a code, but I said I didn't want to put a code, cuz I had read that it makes preordering a nightmare.

I'll be ordering on APPLE and I have AT&T.... should I call back and get a pin? Or leave the account as is with no pin?

("funny" that I just talked to them a couple weeks ago and they looked at my account with no pin)

FreeLunch1

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
So I called AT&T to ask a question about my installment and they wanted me to set up a pin. They sent a code, but I said I didn't want to put a code, cuz I had read that it makes preordering a nightmare.

I'll be ordering on APPLE and I have AT&T.... should I call back and get a pin? Or leave the account as is with no pin?

("funny" that I just talked to them a couple weeks ago and they looked at my account with no pin)
You can set your pin on att.com

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I don’t think you need your account pin, just the one they text you to verify your phone. I could be wrong, though.

Juandagis

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Att sends you a Pin number that you have to type in. Its a one time code. If I use my iPad it ask for it when i try to order a new phone. If I use the Apple Store app on my iPhone to order, it bypasses the code part, makeing things much faster. I called Att and it cannot be removed.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
The pin is seriously just an extra headache, especially with regards to preordering through Apple Store app when every second already counts. I understand why they do it, but it’s not necessarily beneficial either. Just my opinion.

I had one, but disabled it last year.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
socal
The pin is seriously just an extra headache, especially with regards to preordering through Apple Store app when every second already counts. I understand why they do it, but it’s not necessarily beneficial either. Just my opinion.

I had one, but disabled it last year.
Right!!!!!!??????

I just didn't know if I should just let them add an account pin (so I should call them back) or if I should just do the send one time pin?

also.... I can't remember... do I use my SSN on my phone and hubby's on his? or his on both phones since our ATT account is in his name?

stevenisHAUNTED

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Texas
Right!!!!!!??????

I just didn't know if I should just let them add an account pin (so I should call them back) or if I should just do the send one time pin?

also.... I can't remember... do I use my SSN on my phone and hubby's on his? or his on both phones since our ATT account is in his name?
His last 4 if the account is under his name.
The pin is only 1 per account.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
Right!!!!!!??????

With preorders in less than 10 hours, I wouldn’t risk adding a pin. Not worth the headache and risk. Just add it afterwards.

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
You don't want a "PIN", you want a security passcode added on AT&T. This is actually faster then waiting for the 6 digit one-time text that you get during the ordering process when you do the Carrier check.

If you have a passcode set on AT&T. You just enter it instead of waiting for the SMS Txt that can be delayed do to the Volume requests that are also waiting on the Apple SMS Gateway.

Link: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1051397

Dave

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
Texas
You don't want a "PIN", you want a security passcode added on AT&T. This is actually faster then waiting for the 6 digit one-time text that you get during the ordering process when you do the Carrier check.

If you have a passcode set on AT&T. You just enter it instead of waiting for the SMS Txt that can be delayed do to the Volume requests that are also waiting on the Apple SMS Gateway.

Dave
I don't have one set (per the steps in your link) but did a test run earlier and it did require a 6 digit PIN via text message. i want that off.

*edit

i just added a 4 digit PIN on my att account and did another test run to purchase the iPhone 8. it still requested for a 6 digit pass code apple texted me.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
see my edited post. i did and still received the prompt for the 6 digit pass code that was texted to me.
I think that you need to setup a permanent account PIN / passcode with AT&T. When I do a dummy order for a Verizon iPhone 8 it prompts me for a PIN (which I setup a long time ago.) I don’t need to wait for a text message since the PIN is already setup with Verizon.

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010
I don't have one set (per the steps in your link) but did a test run earlier and it did require a 6 digit PIN via text message. i want that off.

*edit

i just added a 4 digit PIN on my att account and did another test run to purchase the iPhone 8. it still requested for a 6 digit pass code apple texted me.
What are you using to order? Apple.com, iOS app?

nyfliiboy

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
A pin is helpful as a security feature. Anyone with the right information can just call in and make changes to your account but if they don't know the pin they can't get access.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
Texas
Ahh... A PIN isn't required when using the iOS app on an iPhone.
yeah just did a test run on the app and didn't ask me. may be the way to go then. no way in heck i want to wait to receive a PIN to move forward with the purchase.

Reactions: webbuzz

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008

Dave
100% correct. You have to enter a code either way (maybe not on the iPhone you’re actually upgrading) so I want to type in a quick 4 digit number, rather than waiting for a text that might never come due to the high volume. I do this every time and it works great.

A pin is helpful as a security feature. Anyone with the right information can just call in and make changes to your account but if they don't know the pin they can't get access.
Agreed!! I was going through a divorce about 10 years ago and my ex was able to wreak all kinds of havoc on my account posing as “me” until I set a passcode.

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
Good call guys! I had a passcode but was getting text notifications. Turned that off and now I can just enter my 4 digit code. Woot! Tested and working on Apple.com.