ATT says no exchange for students and non-business users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by red41, Jul 1, 2008.

1. red41 macrumors regular

I just talked to a lady from ATT that said in order to have exchange support you have to set up a business account and have their tax id. I asked, "So as a student whose school uses microsoft exchange I cannot access my e-mail on a 3G iphone" and she said "that is correct".

I can't describe how disappointed I am right now.

2. mbaran macrumors regular

i'm hoping its safe to say this lady doesn't know what she's talking about..

you do not need a TAX id to get a business data plan either... that's why shes hopefully full of crap.

3. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

You can have Exchange but you'll pay $45 per month for a corporate data plan rather than the $30 for a personal one.

4. red41 thread starter macrumors regular

She said a few other things to make me think she didn't know what she was talking about. What I am hoping for is to not have to buy a business plan at all and still be able to have a push e-mail from my exchange account for school. I probably wouldn't buy the iphone if I have to pay an extra 15 bucks a month just to be able to get e-mails from my professors.

5. mbaran macrumors regular

i still don't think you'll need the $45 plan.

it uses port 443.. they really cant detect/monitor it. Plus, what would they do on old iPhones who are upgrading to the 2.0 software.. no way those people are going to pay $25 more a month for EDGE push mail..

6. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

A tax ID is required for an AT&T business plan. However, after accessing an Exchange account, the monthly plan goes up. At least that is the way it works with the 1st generation iPhone plan.

7. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

??? How would you know this, considering that nobody has (officially) done this yet?

8. red41 thread starter macrumors regular

So ATT detects that you have been on an exchange server and automatically raises your fees?

9. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

We all need to just sit back and see what happens once the phone is launched.

10. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

Agreed. Too much FUD for one day.

11. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

how, when the original iPhone didn't have Exchange support?

I've spoken to a couple of people who were on the 2.0 business beta and no extra cost is needed for the Exchange support.

12. Jack Dangers macrumors regular

So will people who use windows mobile devices and have access to their exchange servers also be charged the 45 dollar plan? If not, then that's just terrible by at&t...

13. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Currently they're not doing so in the betas. But I wonder what would they do if you're on a different port with SSL. They can't detect you're using it for exchange...

Then again, if that's not the case...what would the $45 be for, then?

True.

14. red41 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I guess that's what I'll do, but I was wanting to get one when it launched.

15. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

I am guessing to overcharge business users. Perhaps it is for the VPN functionalilty?

16. mbaran macrumors regular

part of the $45 dollars is actual phone support for exchange connectivity via the phone.. like an advanced data department. at least thats how it was explained to me by our companies rep.

i wouldn't fear and think that the $30 oughta do it.

17. b1gted macrumors regular

b1gted

I believe the KEY words here are "CORPORATE EMAIL" and "CORPORATE APPLICATIONS"

If your connecting to an exchange server that is not a business/corporation, you probably are fine.

For example, there are plenty of 3rd party exchange server services out there on the internet, that can be purchased by anyone that needs exchange type mail. www.mailstreet.com comes to mind.

But again, we ARE talkin about AT&T here, very possible they will squeeze us for every last penny on this IPHONE kick!

18. tritonj macrumors 6502a

you need to have a tax id to setup a business account with ATT

as for what will happen with the 2 data plans, who knows, i doubt there will be a clarification before launch.

19. frosse macrumors 6502a

I still dont get it, how can ATT/Apple control whether or not I use Exchange support or not? Do enterprise users get a special edition or the calendar?

20. walnuts macrumors 6502

Is it going to warn you? If I set up an exchange e-mail through auto-detect, will it tell me that extra charges will apply? Or will there be an extra little surprise on the bill when it comes? I don't want to experiment and get myself locked into this.

If I get exchange for free, then I'll take it. Otherwise, I'll wait till my office pays for it. I'm not paying to be in contact with work more.